• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scylla in Chicago

I was wondering if anyone has been to Scylla, in Bucktown. I was reading some articles on their website and it looks like they got a lot of good reviews when it opened in February. Has anyone had any personal experiences eating there?

Thanks,

C

Yes, Scylla has been well-received so far. I'm sorry no link is available, but Scylla and its chef-owner, Stephanie Izard (an alum of Spring and La Tache), just received a very nice mention in the May issue of Food Arts (as part of a larger feature about the Chicago dining scene).

As you mentioned, Scylla's site lists several favorable reviews, including one by Chicago Magazine's Jeff Ruby, whose opinion I usually agree with. While it is a long list of 20, that review was part of Chicago Magazine's "Best New Restaurants" list. Another positive review, not listed at Scylla's site, is from the Chicago Reader.

Scylla Restaurant

1952 N. Damen

Chicago, IL

(773) 227-2995

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Really enjoyed it!

Went there a few weeks ago on a weeknight, so we were able to get in.

We really enjoyed the atmosphere...warm and inviting, not going for the colder contemporary look of many newer restaurants...

Wait staff was very knowledgable, and very nice.

Unfortunately, memory fails me on what we ate....except for the dish that makes a night "memorable".

They had an escargot on the menu very different from the traditional garlic & butter...it came in a great presentation on asian soup spoons...but one bite and OOPS...someone was VERy heavy handed on salt.

It was immediatly whisked back to the kitchen with apologies, the server came out and agreed, that yep, the chef agreed it was overly salted and sends their apologies...a new dish came out and it was still taken off the menu.

It was so nicely handled, it actually improved our experience.

So, food good...service great...atmosphere warm and comfortable.

Hope that helps!

Don't know about this place, but I do know about this address. If this location is right next to Le Bouchon and it is in a red brick free standing house, I fear that it might have a short life span. I believe the average duration of the restaurant is about 2 years. Previous restaurants were New England and Mediterranean cuisine and they were above par, but for some reason, they could not bring in the customers. Perhaps this place can break the curse.

I had an extremely positive experience at Scylla a number of weeks back...which reminds me that I'm overdue for another visit. A nice bridge between a neighborhood joint and a destination restaurant. If the sweetbreads are still on the menu, make sure you order them. YUM! I really liked the vibe of this place and the staff was wonderful. Very smart and fun wines by the glass...a lot of thought went into every aspect of this place.

Well, those reports look promising. Now I have the eating part of my itinerary taken care of. Avec on Friday night and Scylla on Saturday, with some sushi throw in somewhere. The sweetbreads listed on the website look good so I may have to give them a shot. Thanks for all of the info so far.

I had a fabulous dining experience at Scylla. I eat out with a gluten-free dining crew about once a month because my boyfriend has celiac desease. We arrange the menu with the chef in advance, so it's not always their regular stuff. In any case, a couple of weeks ago we ate at Scylla, and everyone was extermely impressed with the quality of food and the presentation. I had beef tenderloin that was fabulous and came with sunckokes, potatoes and perhaps one other tuber. My boyfriend had skate wing which he also really enojoyed. We had a choice of two salads, one a deconstructed goat cheese and beets, and one with squid and fava beans. For desert, ice cream sampler (olive oil and thyme/ ginger/ chocolate chipotle/ salty peanut or a flourless chocolate cake with salty peanut ice cream. I would definately reccommend this place - very accomodating to those with special needs, and great food.

• 8 months later...

i'm agonizing over one night left in chicago on an upcoming trip. i really regret not having visited scylla when i was last there, and vowed that it would be on my list when i returned...

well, i'm returning soon and have been side-tracked by schwa and sweets & savories. anyone have any input? any recent experiences at scylla to report on?

thanks!

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

We went in the Fall and had a very good meal. There were some service issues at the table next to us that I thought were handled quite poorly, but I'd rather not get into it since I wasn't directly involved. I can't remember my appetizer, but my main course was monkfish with crispy sweetbreads and it was outstanding.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I have to say this is one of the most underrated restaurants in chicago. My experience there was fantastic. Everything on the menu was delicious, well seasoned and properly cooked. The service was attentive and courteous. I think the chef has a bright future here, or anywhere she is located.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

We went in the Fall and had a very good meal.  There were some service issues at the table next to us that I thought were handled quite poorly, but I'd rather not get into it since I wasn't directly involved.  I can't remember my appetizer, but my main course was monkfish with crispy sweetbreads and it was outstanding.

yum!! sweatbreads!!

I have to say this is one of the most underrated restaurants in chicago. My experience there was fantastic. Everything on the menu was delicious, well seasoned and properly cooked. The service was attentive and courteous. I think the chef has a bright future here, or anywhere she is located.

i've met izard once and serendipitously bumped into her at a restaurant (not scylla) later that week on her off day! she struck me as impressively young!! i'm really excited about trying her food. it's gotten so much buzz and praise.

would appreciate any more detailed reports!

cheers.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 years later...

I now know why this thread has remained dormant since my last post in early 2006.

Tonight, as many of you know, is the season premier of Top Chef (Bravo!). Stephanie Izard, ex-chef and owner of Scylla is one of this season's contenders. Curious, I wandered onto the restaurant's website to see what the restaurant was doing. Apparently, nothing. It has closed its doors (when this happened, I know not).

I had one great dinner at Scylla a couple of years back. I look forward to seeing Ms. Izzard do well on Top Chef.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I now know why this thread has remained dormant since my last post in early 2006. 

Tonight, as many of you know, is the season premier of Top Chef (Bravo!).  Stephanie Izard, ex-chef and owner of Scylla is one of this season's contenders.  Curious, I wandered onto the restaurant's website to see what the restaurant was doing.  Apparently, nothing.  It has closed its doors (when this happened, I know not).

I had one great dinner at Scylla a couple of years back.  I look forward to seeing Ms. Izzard do well on Top Chef.

Scylla's former location is where Takashi now sits.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Scylla's former location is where Takashi now sits.

=R=

That's where Takashi is?

Huh. I'd imagine he'd open something with more space.

Cozy's just as good.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Tonight, as many of you know, is the season premier of Top Chef (Bravo!).  Stephanie Izard, ex-chef and owner of Scylla is one of this season's contenders.  Curious, I wandered onto the restaurant's website to see what the restaurant was doing.  Apparently, nothing.  It has closed its doors (when this happened, I know not).

I had one great dinner at Scylla a couple of years back.  I look forward to seeing Ms. Izzard do well on Top Chef.

Stephanie closed several months ago (last spring) to do some "travel" or I guess tape Top Chef. -Apparently she also did some traveling, but she said yesterday in the trib that it was mainly because she had been selected for Top Chef.

The location is up on Damen close to Armitage, on the west side of the street, right next to Le Buchon.