• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

Well, cannolis might count as baking.  Or maybe a Pignoli Nut Pie.

Man, a lot of Italian desserts are like... custardy things or fried though. :biggrin:

Does something like a Ricotta or Easter Pie count as dessert?

How about a Sicilian Cassata if one wants a baked Italian dessert? Basically cannoli cream filling with a nice rum cake. Yum if it is not too sweet. It can be nicely decorated as well.

That sounds interesting if I can find a good recipe. I have come across a neat recipe for Zabaglione Gelato though that looks fun. Yeah, I know, it's not baked.

So it looks like it should be all vegetarian containing

Rhubarb

Asparagus

Quinoa

Apricots, peaches, pistachios, ras el hanout

Bit low on protien...maybe seafood or at the bloggers preference?

I don't know if things are any different where Marlene is living, but currently in Minnesota, the asparagus is still being imported, and I don't know that I could find a decent peach or apricot to save my life. I can get quinoa, but can Marlene?

Never mention that my family would mutiny if I served a meal like this! I'd at least have to add eggs.

Mine has already stated they are going out to dinner - without me. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm not at all a moderator in this blog, but I believe Marlene has pretty clearly explained that she's not inclined to go with the vegetarian basket. I suggest she and Sam look at the top vote-getters and make a decision between themselves. That way, some democratic elements remain, but they make something their loved ones will actually eat!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I think Dean has the right idea, but I know that Marlene would go along with whatever the members agreed.

One of my thoughts as I look at the top vote getters is I'd sure have to do a lot of work researching just how to fix those items, and I don't have much spare time these days, and think it sounds like Marlene has her hands full, too.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hear, hear, snowangel.

It's very difficult to prepare a vegetarian meal that meat lovers will like when you tie the cook down to certain ingredients. Especially when one is a spice mixture which one has never tasted, seen in a store, or, (until I looked it up) even heard of. And since when do mystery baskets include spices, anyway?

For these two cooks it would make more sense to just tell them to come up with a vegetarian meal of their choice, OR to give them a basket containing a more well-rounded selection, and asking that the meal be suitable for both meat eaters and vegetarians.

Voting on individual foods and then combining the top scorers makes no sense; the idea is to provide an interesting and seasonal selection which will inspire the cook. This is not supposed to be a popularity contest. What if the top scorers were lamb, duck and seafood?

And "vegetarian meal" is not an ingredient, therefore ineligible for inclusion.

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Great blog, a most entertaining read. I wish I was coming to your houses for dinner.

As for the mystery basket, I vote with varmint and snow angel. Both Sam and Marlene have said several times that they are not inclined toward vegetarian, nor are their families. Yet readers persist.

Edited to add that I also agree with ruthcooks, who was posting as I typed.

Edited by whatsup1 (log)

I think Dean has the right idea, but I know that Marlene would go along with whatever the members agreed.

One of my thoughts as I look at the top vote getters is I'd sure have to do a lot of work researching just how to fix those items, and I don't have much spare time these days, and think it sounds like Marlene has her hands full, too.

*ahem* That's why I suggested an either/or system (duck or squab, rice or quinoa, etc). The cooks could select an item from each category that was available, and familiar if the cook so chose. (Of course, I might be wrong about the availability of duck and squab.) At any rate, I think it's pretty mean to demand that the bloggers cook something they and their families don't want to eat. I think I'd mutiny along with my family, if I were in the hotseat, and post photos of some restaurant meal.

OK, I'm done campaigning for my choice. Maybe. :wink:

Edited to add: ah, I see Soba was good enough to include both my suggestions in the listing! Thanks, Soba! And I'm laughing at how several of us all rushed to post "be nice to the bloggers" at about the same time...a Keystone Kops moment on the internet, all of us colliding on this thread...

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Marlene and Sam,

Both your blogs have been wonderful - now this is what I call twin treats.

Sam, I wish I had the talent/energy to prep. veggies as beautifully as you do. I particularly loved the paper-thin onion slices, the grated carrots and julienned apples. What's your secret? Do you use a mandolin or a food processor?

Thanks!

I confess, I haven't eaten much today, quite deliberately though. I did have some shaved parmesan and water crackers a bit earlier and of course, I've had my normal gallon or two of coffee. Tonight's challenge is Dinner at an Italian restaurant, which I'm really looking forward to.

We'll be leaving in about an hour and I'll report back when we get home.

Then tomorrow, shopping for the mystery basket ingredients, whatever they might be!

Marlene

Ok, voting's over for the mystery basket "challenge" for Sunday.

Here are the results:

A. Seafood fish/dish. (1 vote)

B. Asparagus, crab and lamb. (1 vote)

C. Asparagus, salmon, strawberries. (1 vote)

D. As option C but with the addition of rhubarb. (1 vote)

E. Ice cream and Nutella. (1 vote)

F. Fish and/or vegetarian. (1 vote)

G. All vegetarian. (7 votes)

H. Chocolate, chicken, rice, beans. (1 vote)

I. Apricots, peaches, pistachios, ras el hanout and rhubarb. (3 votes)

J. Tofu, cheese, wine, chocolate and chile peppers. (2 votes)

K. Rhubarb, hibiscus and other "red" foods (cherries for example). (1 vote)

L. Squab, quinoa, zucchini, leeks, rhubarb, radishes, mascarpone. (1 vote)

M. Vegetarian and featuring homemade pasta. (1 vote)

N. Ground beef and something with apples for dessert. Eggs may be substituted in place of ground beef. Alternately, ground meat (not necessarily beef) can be substituted for the ground beef, but if so, 1/2 lb. must be used. (4 votes)

O. As option N but also -- Fruit may feature in the meal. Entree should be something light and vegetarian. (1 vote)

P. Meatloaf. May be made with chicken, turkey or other meat. (2 votes)

Q. As option P, but with ham and bacon. (1 vote)

R. Chocolate in all courses. (1 vote)

S. As option G but with tofu. (1 vote)

T. As option G but with champagne. (1 vote)

U. Pheasant, ramps, tamarind. Duck may be substituted. (1 vote) [this was Smithy's original suggestion]

V. 1/2 lb. seafood item, rack of lamb or duck, pea shoots or spring peas, orzo or polenta, rhubarb or cherries, chocolate. (1 vote)

W. Duck OR squab; leeks OR ramps; quinoa OR rice; apples OR cherries; chocolate. (1 vote)

Top three vote getters are in bold.

However, since Marlene has indicated that her family's preferences lie in another direction, :wacko: it might be best if both Sam and Marlene could cook a meal using the ingredients/concepts amongst options G, I and N in order to produce something that their families will likely eat.

Should be interesting in any event. :wink:

Soba

PS. Since this is the first time we've done this kind of Foodblog, some kinks are inevitable. Thanks for being patient with us during this whole process.

To give you something to do whilst Sam and I dine out, ( you can all do your homework and read up :biggrin: ), this is where we are dining tonight. Well, Don and I are. I've no idea where Sam and Kathleen are going.

Trattoria Timone

You can all take guesses at what I'll be selecting to eat. :biggrin:

Marlene

I'm comfortable with that, Soba. I can do one vegetarian dish at least to hold to the spirit of this.

Now, clearly I'm not a vegetarian. :biggrin: So do vegetarians eat seafood? :unsure:

Marlene

To give you something to do whilst Sam and I dine out, ( you can all do your homework and read up :biggrin: ), this is where we are dining tonight.  Well, Don and I are.  I've no idea where Sam and Kathleen are going.

Trattoria Timone

Perhaps some carpaccio and some tenderloin?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Since I originated the 1/2 pound ground meat suggestion, I don't mind increasing the amount to one full pound of ground meat, if it will keep Marlene's family together at the dinner table. Besides, Marlene said the magic phrase, "piano lessons."

Sam & Marlene, the culinary & musical team of eGullet, ehh??

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Hi all- posting from the beautiful Rogue Valley in Oregon, Mystic Ranch to be precise! I finally was able to get on the computer and the first thing to do was catch up on the Tag Team/Smackdown blog.

Marlene: well, my guess is tonight you went for the warm goat cheese salad or the carpaccio starter. Since your DH doesn't eat lamb and you love it and it is not in tomorrow's basket, I think that will be tonight's Good Eats!

On the Waring Pro blender: I've had mine for a few months now, I believe it is the same model. The lid on mine does fit snug and the center cap is actually somewhat difficult to unscrew if I've got wet hands. The base fitting does feel wobbly on the stand but it seems when in use it is just fine and perfectly sturdy. Let me know how you like yours, I like mine just fine, but then I've been without a blender for a few years so I am just so thankful!

Sam: the bimibap was beautiful! I think I saw a thread on that not so long back, now I am inspired to read it and learn more! It surely looks like something our home will enjoy.

I'm so glad that a night off for the cook was scheduled for you both tonight, you certainly deserve it!

You've already set the bar very high for the next intrepid tag team.

We already have one lined up, and it's an international one to boot. :raz:

Soba

Very exciting.

Speaking of international, that bibimbap looks incredible, even for someone like me who doesn't care much for beef. That crispy rice is key. Has there been a thread devoted to this for Korean neophites like me?

You know you're doing something right when we're all salivating over your leftovers.

To give you something to do whilst Sam and I dine out, ( you can all do your homework and read up :biggrin: ), this is where we are dining tonight.  Well, Don and I are.  I've no idea where Sam and Kathleen are going.

Trattoria Timone

Perhaps some carpaccio and some tenderloin?

yes and no. :raz:

Hi all- posting from the beautiful Rogue Valley in Oregon, Mystic Ranch to be precise!  I finally was able to get on the computer and the first thing to do was catch up on the Tag Team/Smackdown blog. 

Marlene: well, my guess is tonight you went for the warm goat cheese salad or the carpaccio starter.  Since your DH doesn't eat lamb and you love it and it is not in tomorrow's basket, I think that will be tonight's Good Eats!

On the Waring Pro blender: I've had mine for a few months now, I believe it is the same model.  The lid on mine does fit snug and the center cap is actually somewhat difficult to unscrew if I've got wet hands.  The base fitting does feel wobbly on the stand but it seems when in use it is just fine and perfectly sturdy.  Let me know how you like yours, I like mine just fine, but then I've been without a blender for a few years so I am just so thankful!

Sam: the bimibap was beautiful!  I think I saw a thread on that not so long back, now I am inspired to read it and learn more!  It surely looks like something our home will enjoy.

I'm so glad that a night off for the cook was scheduled for you both tonight, you certainly deserve it!

As far as the blender goes, Don took it back because the lid did not fit even close to snugly. He and the salesguy opened 4 boxes before they found one that did. The salesman said he'd never seen anything like it before. Your dinner guesses are half right.

If ground beef is in order, Marlene can make her fabulous Peanut Butter Burgers!

That's certainly an option, but I can think of several things to do with ground beef!

Dinner pics in a few minutes. Bear with me. We had to take them without a flash so they need a little "fixing"

Marlene

So dinner at an Italian Restaurant. we chose Trattoria Timone here in downtown Oakville. It's not a large restaurant and the kitchen is open so you can see the chef cooking everything. From what I could tell, almost everything was made to order. Including the cream sauce for my entree.

there were a few mishaps along the way, including a waiter who got that "deer in the headlight" look whenever we asked him a question, but mostly everything was wonderful.

They had a specials menu that is not posted on their website and Don chose the Baked brie from that. I'm going to apologise again for the pics as we took them without a flash in order not to disturb the other diners. The restaurant was full.

gallery_6080_1300_23958.jpg

As expected, I had the carpaccio, but I wish I'd ordered the Brie. It was much better!

gallery_6080_1300_6583.jpg

for the main course, Don predictably chose a steak, with a green peppercorn sauce:

gallery_6080_1300_34436.jpg

But I wanted to show eG'ers that I do eat something other than meat, so I ordered the Ravioli stuffed with Gorgonzola Cheese in a Cream Basil Sauce. This was on the specials menu, otherwise, I would have had the lamb.

gallery_6080_1300_1710.jpg

I have to say this dish was totally outstanding. As you can see, it didn't suck

gallery_6080_1300_20750.jpg

This is a reasonably bad picture of the wine we ordered with dinner. It was a Barolo, year, 1998.

gallery_6080_1300_842.jpg

We really were to full for dessert, but we looked anyway at the menu:

gallery_6080_1300_44340.jpg

And in order to satisfy my fellow eG'rs curiosity, I had to order the Warm Cherry Clafouti

gallery_6080_1300_14280.jpg

I didn't have the Tiramisu or the Zabaglione because I haven't decided yet what to make for tomorrow night. I would normally have had the cheese plate, because I don't eat much dessert, but hey, I had to take one for the team here. :biggrin:

We had coffee, (decaf for Don) and decided to finish off the evening with a Port at home. I didn't take a picture of it, but we enjoyed a glass of Taylor Fladgate 20 year tawny.

Imedidately upon arriving home, I went in search of my loosest piece of clothing. :biggrin:

All in all, a very nice evening out.

Marlene

Marlene, please don't leave us in suspense....what the heck is a peanut butter burger???

Look no further than RecipeGullet's Peanut Butter Burger recipe. Coutesty of Marlene, the Recipe Czarina.

You know, this is the first time I've read that recipe.

That sounds really, REALLY good. I'm going to try it.

Take that, George Foreman!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

That peanut butter burger is amazing. I know, I can hear you thinking to yourself "What's peanut butter doing in a burger recipe"? All I can say is, you gotta trust me on this one. Those burgers come out so moist and juicy you may never make burgers any other way. And you'll never taste the peanut butter although you will get a lovely nutty flavour. A few years ago, we had a thread on it around here somewhere and several people tried it.

Well good morning, folks. It looks like rain as I contemplate my day today while getting my morning fix of coffee.

Today will include shopping at the new Whole Foods to pick up ingredients for the mystery basket as well as working on our challenge for tonight's dinner, Pasta & Meatballs.

Marlene

We had coffee, (decaf for Don) and decided to finish off the evening with a Port at home.  I didn't take a picture of it, but we enjoyed a glass of Taylor Fladgate 20 year tawny.

Good call, I love that stuff :wub: It's especially great in front of a fire on cold winter evenings.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Notice Sam hasn't been heard from? I'm hoping he hasn't spontaneously combusted from all this eating!

Marlene

Okay, it's my turn to post about Thursday's dinner. Sorry I didn't get to this last night, but I was pretty hammered by the time I got home and went straight to bed.

Before dinner, Kathleen and I headed to Flatiron Lounge, a favorite watering hole of the NYC cocktail conoscenti.

gallery_8505_1301_93786.jpg

We had a number of drinks. I took pictures of a few, but it was dark and they didn't turn out so well as a result (I wasn't going to take flash pictures in a lounge).

gallery_8505_1301_39547.jpg

I try to go to Flatiron when it's not busy, and often will just talk with the bartender about what sort of things I'm in the mood for and let them make whatever they feel like making me. This was an interesting tall drink made with rye whiskey, strawberry and milk. Just behind you can see Phil, one of Flatiron's many accomplished mixologists, shaking up another one. Whenever he's behind the bar, I love to have a taste of whatever he's been kicking around in his head. He once made us a tall drink with jalapeno-infused tequila, muddled tomatoes and cilantro that the friend I took with me that night is still talking about.

gallery_8505_1301_15244.jpg

This is a drink from the menu, a Mandarin Old Fashioned. More or less a whiskey old fashioned with some muddled Mandarin orange and other things.

gallery_8505_1301_24679.jpg

Deciding to stick with brown liquor, Phil said he had a "scotchtail" on his mind and we agreed to give it a go. This is blended scotch, Drambuie and lemon juice (roughly in Sidecar proportions) with a few big dashes of Angostura bitters. Scotch-based cocktails are not easy to make, and this was a real winner. Sticking with the scotch theme, Kathleen had an excellent Blood & Sand (blended scotch, cherry brandy, sweet vermouth and orange juice).

There were a few other drinks, but my memory is a little less reliable after the first four.

gallery_8505_1301_16331.jpg

One great thing about the "cocktails crowd" hangouts in NYC is that it's a very close community and you never know who you're going to run into. Just as we were starting out last drink, who should we see on the next stool over but the Minister or Rum himself, Ed Hamilton. He's traveling all over the country these days bringing in the best rhum agricole you've ever had. If you're in NYC, get yourself down to Astor Wines and pick up a bottle of La Favorite white rhum agricole. It's a steal at around $30 a liter -- especially since this stuff is 100 proof. And you heard it here, folks: Ti Punch (white rhum agricole, a touch of cane syrup and a half-dollar-sized cut of lime peel stirred with crushed ice) is going to be one of the hot new drinks. Ed's got one in his hand.

After a while, the three of us allowed that we had worked up a prodigious hunger, and we decamped for Bianca -- a restaurant featuring the cuisine of Emilia-Romagna. We each had a primo and a secondo.

Here are the primi. . .

gallery_8505_1301_50281.jpg

Spiedini di gamberi e seppie.

gallery_8505_1301_20207.jpg

Fegatini con aceto balsamico.

gallery_8505_1301_53701.jpg

Gnocchi al gorgonzola.

And the secondi. . .

gallery_8505_1301_60657.jpg

Salsiccia e fagioli.

gallery_8505_1301_45141.jpg

Cotechino con pure di patate.

gallery_8505_1301_1860.jpg

Salmone con rape saltata in padella.

With all this we had a nice bottle of Barbera d'Asti, a high acid/low tannin red wine that worked very well with everything,

--