• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

interested in restaurants in LA

hi, im a cook with 9 years experience in upscale dining in new orleans LA, in culinary school now at NECI , considering moving to LA when finished, any information on upscale restaurants to research would be appreciated, prefer 60 to 200 seats, especially places with longevity (4-10 or more years) any cuisine, anyh info would be helpful thanx

Is this for dining or employment? If it is for employment maybe try the Bay Area instead. Los Angeles is not a culinary training ground for the most part IMHO. Melise, Luques,Campanile,Water Grill are your best bet for a "stage" but after that it gets pretty thin. Especially with looking for older established places.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

When does your employment need to start? Oddly enough, I'm being flown out to LA to cook a few times in the next few months. I will be meeting the chefs at some of these fine restuarants already mentioned and I could put in some good words for you. I went to NECI (grad in 94) and Im from New Orleans also.

Also Check out Grace restaurant. www.gracerestaurant.com

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Is this for dining or employment? If it is for employment maybe try the Bay Area instead. Los Angeles is not a culinary training ground for the most part IMHO. Melise, Luques,Campanile,Water Grill are your best bet for a "stage" but after that it gets pretty thin. Especially with looking for older established places.

I tend to agree with you based on my husband's professional experience.

Anyway, job listings www.craigslist.org

I would second Grace, I only omited it because it is relatively new and you asked for longtime establishments. Patina group is another I overlooked. You may want to talk to chef Ko at Kinkichi ( bistro 21) if you want to learn and not worried about your resume. He is extremely talented and has only 1 assistant so there is a lot of teaching. I would add Josie to the list as well , she has a lot to offer.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/