• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Canuck Foodie in Seattle

Another canuck came a'vistin this weekend. It was my first time in Seattle where kids were not the major focus or impediment in trying out some new place to eat.

First stop Salumi

Porchetta Sandwhich

gallery_25348_1447_367.jpg

Salumi Salami Sandwhich

gallery_25348_1447_6645.jpg

The place certainly lives up to the hype. The Senior Batali was so incredibly friendly and gave out samples left and right. The porchetta sandwhich was a massive undertaking - and delicous. Pork shoulder cooked to a delicous soft falling apart pile scented with onions and fennel - excellent. The highlight was the salami sandwhich w/ fresh mozz - fantastic salami - sweet and porky and pearled with fat - fantastic. Excellent start to the weekend.

Dinner at Zoe's - definitely a place that though busy - does not have the buzz of Brasa, Crow, et al. And it is better for it - had some of the best low key italian food since Delfina in SF.

Started with a burrata salad

gallery_25348_1447_6850.jpg

One of the best things I have eaten in a very long time. Incredibly fresh mozz - tasting of fresh sweet dairy. Dressed with salt and fruity olive oil, served over tender arugala and a heirloom tomato bruchetta. Not overly dressed up - the Chef really taking full confidence in the ingredients. Absolutely fantastic.

Hanger Steak - what's up with Hanger steak in Seattle, it was on every menu that I looked at. Crazy. This was served with roasted veggies and glazed with a sweet brown sauce. The meat itself was likely smoked and suprisingly tender - I am used to a bigger chew from a hanger steak.

gallery_25348_1447_18290.jpg

Side dishes - Sauteed Porcini, Tagliatelle w/ Butter and Parm

gallery_25348_1447_14066.jpggallery_25348_1447_4116.jpg

If I could order two (or three) orders of the pasta and two (or three) orders of the mushrooms and created my own piggy main course - I would have. Easily some of the best pasta I have had in a restaurant. Fresh, lively and bouyant in the mouth - not weighted down by cream or anything else too heavy - I could have eaten this pasta all f'king night. Great stuff.

Dessert was a Roasted Strawberry Crisp

gallery_25348_1447_2710.jpg

Intense strawberry fruit - without the cloying jamminess that can happen with cooked strawberries. Washington strawberries seemed to have gotten less rain the BC crop. The roasted fruit was excellent - cooked strawberries are something that I tend avoid - but was very pleasantly surprised here.

Great dinner - one of the nicest I have had in while. You get the sense that the Chef is cooking within himself - not pulling any extraneous tricks or trying to play to the latest fad. Really superb. Not sure why Zoe is not discussed more on this thread.

Dinner Day Two

Went to another place seems to be flying a little below the radar (though it was also busy) - and was again rewarded with a solid meal and got to see real Seattlites dining at Le Pichet.

Started with a beautiful chacuterie platter. Particular stand outs were the velvety chicken liver pate and the beef tongue. Sooo good.

gallery_25348_1447_23612.jpg

Shared the Roast Chicken for two - served wth fava beans and a chevre polenta

gallery_25348_1447_16276.jpg

Delicous crispy skin - perfectly tender and juicy chicken.

Other party had the Roasted Pork Loin - served over macaroni.

gallery_25348_1447_11280.jpg

I was uncertain about the macaroni - but it worked. The brined loin was perfectly tender and seasoned. Good solid simple food done extremely well.

Best dessert was Frozen Lemon Mousse with Blueberries

gallery_25348_1447_11281.jpg

Wonderfully tart and the only seemingly sane way to end a very rich meal. In fact - the portion sizes were the only off putting thing. The roast chicken could have fed four. Not sure what restaurant ettiquite would be - but the next time I go - I will have the chacuterie platter, followed by a salad, then maybe a dessert.

But again - excellent simple fare that is deceptively hard to execute.

So - it was a great weekend. The food was spectacular and it was good to find things in Seattle that are not so available yet in Vancouver.

Yum Dude!

Edited by canucklehead (log)

mmm, thanks for sharing your pictures. You ate at 3 of the local favorites. We talk a lot about Zoe and Le Pichet, just not when the tourists are listening!! haha! If you are ever in town on a Monday Zoe has 1/2 price wine bottles on Monday.

• 1 month later...

Hey

I was in Seattle again this weekend and went to Dilaurenti to get my Salumi fix and then sampled some brisket from the Frontier Room

gallery_25348_1380_17716.jpggallery_25348_1380_9035.jpg

I knew that we were in for a treat with Dilaurenti - but what a suprise the brisket was at the Frontier Room. Smokey, tender, delicious!! We were treated extra nice and got some end bits and the cap of the brisket. The sauce was really good and the coleslaw had a nice spicy bite.

How does the Frontier Room rate in local's minds. If there are better joints - there will be another trip to more fully explore BBQ in Seattle.