• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

saltines in ranch dressing recipe?

phlawless

I was looking online for a good ranch dressing recipe, and came across a site that claimed to recreate the Hidden Valley flavor by using ground saltines. Anyone seen/heard/tried this?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

This must be a convergence of the stars or something. I was just wondering about this the other day. It may have been the Kraft or Hidden Valley commercials about the added buttermilk and whatever. I got to wondering about the original recipe. I think I remember my mother making it with a package of seasoning and just buttermilk, I think. I can't see where saltines would come in unless they are well pulverised and used for thickening. The package of stuff looked like it was just herbs, salt and maybe cornstarch or something like it for thickening.

Does anyone know the origin of ranch dressing? Is there an "original recipe?"

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've seen that one, too, but I was afraid it would be a breeding ground for bacteria. :unsure: If you like Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing from the envelope, try this one.

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

2 cups mayonnaise

2 cups buttermilk

2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes

2 teaspoons dried onion flakes

1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Whisk ingredients together until smooth. Makes 1 quart. You may have to thin it down with a little water. Don't use milk to thin it down -- that changes the flavor.

I don't normally use dried garlic and parsley, but if you want it to taste like Hidden Valley, you have to use the same ingredients they do. Except for adding all the chemicals. :biggrin:

Usually I make only a fourth of the amount at a time so it'll be fresh.

-Mary

Here's a case of perfect timing. This guy's known for recreating all kinds of recipes, from Girl Scout Cookies to Tony Roma's ribs.

He also includes a great little history of the dressing itself.

Link expires tomorrow, though, so move fast...

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes/hiddnval.htm

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

Thanks for the link, steverino. That is what I was looking for, especially the story. I think I remember my mother finding something similar in the newspaper when the packets first came out. I sure didn't remember any sour cream involved. That would have been an "exotic ingredient" back then. Contents have now been captured in my recipe folder. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

No prob, fifi-

There are a lot of cool "back stories" all over that site.

Definitely not a "foodie" site, but it has its place!

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant