• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

saturday brunch

mrbigjas

hi all--

we've discussed sunday brunch on here a bunch of times, but i had a friend recently ask me about saturday brunch for her and her mother, and a quick search didn't turn up much. anyone got any good suggestions?

her mother is in her 70s and kind of quiet and conservative, so although it immediately came to mind as a saturday brunch option, i'm pretty sure that carman's would be a bit much for her.

hi all--

we've discussed sunday brunch on here a bunch of times, but i had a friend recently ask me about saturday brunch for her and her mother, and a quick search didn't turn up much.  anyone got any good suggestions? 

her mother is in her 70s and kind of quiet and conservative, so although it immediately came to mind as a saturday brunch option, i'm pretty sure that carman's would be a bit much for her.

White Dog Cafe has a lovely Saturday brunch that goes over well with the blue haired crowd.

If it isn't too hip, Rouge also does Saturday brunch.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I had a pretty good brunch at Caribou on Saturday (salmon Nicoise salad for me). They don't open until 11:30, for what it's worth.

(And I now seem to remember-- though I may be misremembering-- that you don't like Caribou that much. Well, for other people, then...)

no, i like caribou fine. well, except for their fries, which seemed to be battered. i like it quite a bit, actually.

(edited to say thanks for the suggestions y'all, and feel free to keep them coming)

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Jack's Firehouse does a Saturday LUNCH. Not quite their Sunday Brunch, with the omelettes, but a nice menu anyway. Alot of restos just do Saturday dinner, but Jack's has his regular weekday lunch menu on Saturdays. I think it's a great choice for lunch or brunch.

I'll confess to not actually liking brunch very much. For one thing, just about anything breakfasty is something I can make better myself. (Carman's breakfast is a notable exception here.)

That's why for brunch I like to go in another direction, and do the sort of thing I wouldn't or couldn't do on my own. So: Mixto has a good brunch (I think on both Saturdays and Sundays, though you should check): they do both Latin and gringo dishes. But I like La Lupe even better. It's not fancy, but there's nothing I'd rather have for breakfast than huevos rancheros, and if I can have a tamale with them, so much the better. Plus, once the weather is warm, they roll up those glass walls and you get to eat on an outdoor pavilion. (These both depend on the direction in which your friend's mom is conservative, of course.)

Ahem,

Unabashed plug: Rx does killer brunch on Saturday. I always recommend Saturday because it moves at a reasonable pace, as opposed to the mob scene that is Sunday brunch.

I used to love brunch before I worked so many of them. It's a convivial time with friends while sampling the wares of great restaurants at reduced prices.

owner, Rx

i'm right with ya on not liking brunch, for the same reasons. plus there's the sweets thing--i don't like them much, and i'd prefer a big ol bowl of pho or a dish of chilaquiles (con huevos) to any sugar-loaded, syrup drenched gigantic waffle or stack of pancakes or three-inch thick brioche french toast. but that's the subject for another thread, i suppose.

anyway mixto is a great idea, and might be perfect. i suspect la lupe would be a bit 'gritty' for her mom...

Despite having the same first name, I'm in no way connected to Rx or Greg S., so I'll add in that as a disinterested bystander, Rx's brunch is really fun and really good. (Though I've missed the grits!) Great quality food ranging from cheap eggs-and-bacon stuff to higher-end fish dishes, etc.

Rx does have a nice brunch, but I don't find their menu quite as intereting as their evening menus led me to expect. Marigold's brunch is more adventurous, I find. I suspect that the quiet and conservative guest would be more comfortable there, too. I don't know whether or not they have a Saturday brunch, but it's worth a phone call to find out.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

i'm right with ya on not liking brunch, for the same reasons.  plus there's the sweets thing--i don't like them much, and i'd prefer a big ol bowl of pho or a dish of chilaquiles (con huevos) to any sugar-loaded, syrup drenched gigantic waffle or stack of pancakes or three-inch thick brioche french toast.  but that's the subject for another thread, i suppose.

anyway mixto is a great idea, and might be perfect.  i suspect la lupe would be a bit 'gritty' for her mom...

Then you should probably seriously consider Jack's Firehouse as well. No traditional breakfast-y items on Saturday Lunch; The pulled pork, smoked brisket, and the rack of lamb are great choices here-- Jack's Lunch Menu Not very hectic here, and I just love that scull boat suspended from the ceiling!!

Sabrina's, but go before 10am if you want immediate seating. Of course, the Italian market is always good for a stroll and they'll call you on your cell phone when your table opens up. It's the same mix of breakfast/lunch as Sunday. mmm, home fries.

the only reason i didn't respond to the jack's suggestion was that i was still a little annoyed with them for yesterday, b/c of some service issues that made what was supposed to be a normal tuesday lunch take an hour and a half.

but just a little--things happen, and i'm far too addicted to it to stay mad for very long. i'll put it on the list for her.

the only reason i didn't respond to the jack's suggestion was that i was still a little annoyed with them for yesterday, b/c of some service issues that made what was supposed to be a normal tuesday lunch take an hour and a half. 

but just a little--things happen, and i'm far too addicted to it to stay mad for very long.  i'll put it on the list for her.

Wossa "Greg"?

My son and I were in need of some food on a Saturday morning in center city and we tried the brunch at Marathon Grill at Broad and Chestnut. The food was pretty good. Nothing challenging. I liked the breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese and pears.

My son and I were in need of some food on a Saturday morning in center city and we tried the brunch at Marathon Grill at Broad and Chestnut.  The food was pretty good.  Nothing challenging.  I liked the breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese and pears.

Ummm - are you sure you don't mean the newly renovated Marathon @ 16th and Sansom?? I don't think there's a Marathon at Broad & Chestnut.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol