• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four+ Hours at YVR

rlibkind

Ah yes... the Flying Beaver.  Home to the drunken happy hour for YVR staff and airline crews.  The name should have been your first clue about the food quality.

Still - its a nice riverside locale for drinks.

Flying Beaver! That was it! Yes, it should have been a clue, but it was not my choice (and I try to be accomodating about these things, especially if I know I won't be paying).

Fries were lukewarm, and my aunt's salmon burger was real salmon, but the patty wasn't very thick and the bun was bigger than the salmon. My calamari was greasy and quite salty, and the accompanying dip was very very garlicky (in a sharp unpleasant way--my poor seatmates on my connecting flight!). My aunt's friend had a mushroom burger (which looked decient, though the burger looked like one of those pre-formed frozen patties), and salad that contained wilted lettuce too far past its prime to be served.

But we were in a hurry, so we didn't complain, and the service was OK (but my aunt only tipped just over 10%!). I'd rather have gone to Globe!

Anyone familiar with YVR’s Food on the Fly™ program? It gives passengers the option to select their own meal from any airport restaurant or concession and take it with them on their flight. All you have to do is visit your favourite YVR restaurant and order whatever tickles your taste buds. Your selection will be packaged for the plane and away you go.

I was wondering if anyone has done this and how it works with Security Screening. I've got a three hour layover next Tuesday morning and was thinking of grabbing something to eat for my long flight to Toronto so that I could avoid paying for the crappy sandwiches that is served by the airline.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Anyone familiar with YVR’s Food on the Fly™ program? It gives passengers the option to select their own meal from any airport restaurant or concession and take it with them on their flight. All you have to do is visit your favourite YVR restaurant and order whatever tickles your taste buds. Your selection will be packaged for the plane and away you go.

I was wondering if anyone has done this and how it works with Security Screening.

There's nothing to this program; they just package the stuff for take-out and you take it though security yourself. You can take any non-liquid food through security. It doesn't have to be from the airport.

From http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/trave...yage/list.shtml :

" Food products

Solid food products, such as chocolate, sandwich, fruits, vegetables are permitted in your baggage. All liquid food such as yogurts, pudding and jam are submitted to the restriction of 100 ml (3.4 oz) container and fit in your 1L plastic bag. If you plan to bring any kitchen utensils with your food products, please ensure to pack your knife in checked baggage. "

I've taken non-airport sandwiches through security with no problem.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

^ Indeed. On a recent flight, folks across the aisle from me were enjoying a Bahn mi between them and various other goodies (while I watched enviously while snacking on Pringles and beer).

Next time, I'm packing a picnic!

Edited by run2eat (log)

^ Indeed. On a recent flight,  folks across the aisle from me were enjoying a Bahn mi between them and various other goodies (while I watched enviously while snacking on Pringles and beer).

Next time, I'm packing a picnic!

I like Pringles and beer :biggrin:

Karen Dar Woon

• 1 month later...

I just finished breakfast at Globe@YVR. I had the breakfast buffet since there wasn't much difference in price between that and just ordering the eggs benedict. It was a pretty good deal for an airport hotel breakfast buffet. They had a small selection of cheeses, and I liked all the ones I tried (they were much better than the ones at the brunch at the Hotel Fort Garry in Winnipeg). I also had a parting plate of sausage and bacon (nicely crisped) with a side of maple syrup. I'm going to miss sausage and bacon. :sad:

Given the choice, if I didn't have time or transportation to go somewhere good for dim sum, I'd stick to Globe@YVR if I had to eat at the airport again. No more Flying Beaver for me!