• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Port and Marsala

JennyLou

Can anyone tell me how long you can store port wine and marsala wine after you open it? Does it need to be refrigerated, or can I keep it on the cupboard shelf? I use it for cooking, and hate to waste what I don't use in one dish.

Can anyone tell me how long you can store port wine and marsala wine after you open it?  Does it need to be refrigerated, or can I keep it on the cupboard shelf?  I use it for cooking, and hate to waste what I don't use in one dish.

If you're using Port for cooking only, it will keep quite a long time, particularly if you refrigerate it. The same process used to fortify the wine gives it a good deal more stability than table wine has - it's the original purpose, after all - and the cold will slow the decay even further. You do lose volatile aromatics fairly rapidly, so a good vintage Port would taste much simpler the next morning, but it wouldn't go "bad" as such. A simpler Port, like a ruby or cheap tawny, that you might cook with, will change relatively little, and relatively slowly.

I don't know to what extent the same is true for Marsala.