• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panko

researchgal

One of the things I didn't know until quite recently is that panko are not bread crumbs.

The other day, I did a lot of searching and learned a lot about panko.

according to this site (in English):

http://www.kyoeifood.co.jp/e/index-e.html

which has pictures of the process,

they actually make loaves of what looks like Japanese shoku-pan (everyday white bread) and then smash it.

I am not sure if this is how all manufacturers make it though...

I think that all manufacturers make panko that way.

• 2 months later...

When I was replenishing my panko supply the other day, I noticed some new types of panko I had never seen before. Beside whole wheat panko there were also flavored types. including curry flavored, aonori flavored and herb flavored. At about 3 times the price of regular panko I think it would be much cheaper to just add your own seasonings....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

Anna, unfortunately the customs charge now is $8 for the same process, and an aribtrary estimate of the value of contents if an invoice is not included. Of course you're free to claim back the difference with appropriate backup, but the $8 is non-refundable - it's a payment for the "service" of opening your shipment, charging you duties and PST/GST.

A handy list of Japanese grocery stores in and around Toronto from the Japan Society of Canada:

http://www.japansocietycanada.com/informat.../groceries.html

Of course it leaves off my little haunt on Parliament, but that's also downtown ...

A couple west end - out in Mississauga ...

P.A.T. Oriental Food - 257 Dundas Street East Mississauga Ontario

Taro's Fish Market - Unit 26, 5484 Tomken Road Mississauga Ontario L4W 4B8

Hope this helps! Happy eating.

• 6 years later...

I've come a little late to using panko, although I find that I like it quite a bit. However, I've only used two brands of the product, one bought in a Japanese shop and the other the Trader Joe's brand. Are all panko brands pretty much alike, or are there differences between them? What makes a great panko breadcrumb vs an average or below average crumb?

... Shel

I've not been able to discern much difference, except I look for the packages where the crumbs are less broken. Last time I bought some that were also supposed to have some honey in the bread. Couldn't taste it. I usually just buy what's on sale at 99 Ranch.

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs