• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef & Tomato

Dejah

Actually, ginger is hot (yet), or at least that's what my doctor tells me because I'm too cool (leung).  So I also use a lot of ginger when I stir fry or boil vegetables.

Hmmmm, you are right. I asked my wife for some clarifications. She said her mom puts in ginger to cook vegetables so that it would NOT be too Leung. I totally misunderstood it.

Hmmm... I need to crash lesson in Toisanese dialect. Dejah/Ben/et.al. do you offer online Toisanese lessons? :biggrin:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Traditionally the main reason for putting a combination of "Ginger & Garlic" together in a Hot Wok after the Oil was heated up in Hong Kong was mostly to remove the "Peanut Taste" from the Peanut Oil made locally and imported from China. If this wasn't done it was often to strong not to effect the taste of most dishes being prepared. Originally it was put into the Oil to remove the taste, then it was strained and removed from the Wok and discarded.

This practice continued in Hong Kong for many years even though better quality oils are commonly used at Restaurants. It was also often used when frying with Lard or Beef Suet since the quality of these Fats were also variable in Hong Kong. This is still done at many Hong Kong places.

After the Oil was Clarified and Strained the actual seasoning were then added including the Ginger and Garlic as required to flavor the finished dishes.

I should have mentioned that in the very popular Cantonese Dish of "Tomato Eggs" that the dish was made by quickly stir Frying diced or quartered Tomato's and then adding the mixture of whipped whole eggs, mixed together with Broth and Corn Starch only long enough to begin to thicken and served over Rice, garnished with thin sliced spring onions.

One of my favorite lunch or night super Dishes to to have Prawns in Soft Egg Sauce with Peas served over Rice where the Egg in prepared the same way. In all the dishes that are served with this "Soft Egg Sauce" they are very attractive and when mixed to gether with the Rice it enhances the taste, almost like comfort food.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

One of my favorite lunch or night super Dishes to to have Prawns in Soft Egg Sauce with Peas served over Rice where the Egg in prepared the same way.  In all the dishes that are served with this "Soft Egg Sauce" they are very attractive and when mixed to gether with the Rice it enhances the taste, almost like comfort food.

Irwin

I would definitely call the above comfort food, especially"When I get old and losing my teeth , errrr....hair" :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 3 weeks later...
Traditionally the main reason for putting a combination of "Ginger & Garlic" together in a Hot Wok after the Oil was heated up in Hong Kong was mostly to remove the "Peanut Taste" from the Peanut Oil made locally and imported from China. If this wasn't done it was often to strong not to effect the taste of most dishes being prepared. Originally it was put into the Oil to remove the taste, then it was strained and removed from the Wok and discarded.

This practice continued in Hong Kong for many years even though better quality oils are commonly used at Restaurants. It was also often used when frying with Lard or Beef Suet since the quality of these Fats were also variable in Hong Kong. This is still done at many Hong Kong places.

After the Oil was Clarified and Strained the actual seasoning were then added including the Ginger and Garlic as required to flavor the finished dishes.

I should have mentioned that in the very popular Cantonese Dish of "Tomato Eggs" that the dish was made by quickly stir Frying diced or quartered Tomato's and then adding the mixture of whipped whole eggs, mixed together with Broth and Corn Starch only long enough to begin to thicken and served over Rice, garnished with thin sliced spring onions.

One of my favorite lunch or night super Dishes to to have Prawns in Soft Egg Sauce with Peas served over Rice where the Egg in prepared the same way.  In all the dishes that are served with this "Soft Egg Sauce" they are very attractive and when mixed to gether with the Rice it enhances the taste, almost like comfort food.

Irwin

Hrm..whenever I make eggs and tomatoes over rice i usually just stir fry the tomatoes with soy sauce and sugar, then add some beaten eggs. It usually doesn't come out as runny as I like it though - maybe I've been missing the broth all along. What difference does the addition/lack of corn starch make? I'm also curious to know what the proportion of broth to eggs should be??

Hrm..whenever I make eggs and tomatoes over rice i usually just stir fry the tomatoes with soy sauce and sugar, then add some beaten eggs. It usually doesn't come out as runny as I like it though - maybe I've been missing the broth all along. What difference does the addition/lack of corn starch make? I'm also curious to know what the proportion of broth to eggs should be??

I never add broth, but I do add vinegar, and the juice the cooking process extracts from the tomatoes provides enough liquid. The beef is silkened before I stir-fry. When I add the cooked tomatoes and onions to it, there is enough cornstarch on the beef to thicken the liquid. This makes the sauce stick to the rice better...not runny, but silky texture.

As for being a Taiwanese dish, I don't know...seems it's quite widespread. Myself, I think it's a TOISANESE thing... :raz::laugh::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I never add broth, but I do add vinegar, and the juice the cooking process extracts from the tomatoes provides enough liquid. The beef is silkened before I stir-fry. When I add the cooked tomatoes and onions to it, there is enough cornstarch on the beef to thicken the liquid. This makes the sauce stick to the rice better...not runny, but silky texture.

As for being a Taiwanese dish, I don't know...seems it's quite widespread. Myself, I think it's a TOISANESE thing... :raz::laugh::laugh:

The "Broth" is what makes the Dish look and taste much better with a Bright Egg colored smooth Sauce that easily mixes and marry's to the "Rice" or "Fun" it's most often served on top off, plus it holds it's consistency without becoming lumpy or looking scrambled.

In Hong Kong it's served this way with Beef, Pork, Shrimp, Tomatoes or even Peas added as "Soft Eggs" with whatever during lunch.

I often order it in Seattle's ID as a late night treat available at many Restaurants serving Toysan Snack's. :biggrin:

I've even won a contest applying this sauce with Parmesan Cheese, Peas, and Diced Italian Sausage and Tomato Baked with Macaroni that was translated into Italian. Look's Good, Tastes Good and even Pay's Good.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

As for being a Taiwanese dish, I don't know...seems it's quite widespread. Myself, I think it's a TOISANESE thing...  :raz::laugh:  :laugh:

You can order Tomato and Beef over rice in most restaurants in Hong Kong. I thought it's a Hong Konger's thing! :biggrin::biggrin:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I love beef and tomato!! I ate so much of it growing up. Not sure the type of beef that mom used for the dish. I also loved the fact my mom added two beaten eggs to thicken the sauce. So yummy :biggrin: !!

• 1 month later...

I cook mine meatless, just plain tomato and egg. I don't do scrambled eggs either, because I really really like sunnyside up, with the yolk still sort of running, I cook the eggs separately, set aside, do the tomato with ginger thing (ginger is neededbecause tomato has that raw taste without ginger..), and add water, ketchup, brown candy, and a bit of worchestshire sauce!!

I am waiting for my daughter to get tired of beef and tomato! Every Thurs. it's "Make beef and tomato!". Tomatoes on the vine is cheap at the moment and they are just right for this dish.

I have used flank steak or sirloin for the beef. Nice flavour with either. I love lots of long pieces of green onions in mine also.;

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com