• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 West

Rosie

3 West-Fire/Wine/Jazz

This beautiful new restaurant at 665 Martinsville Rd, Basking Ridge has a few rooms. The bar area allows smoking and gets very crowded on a Saturday night. The other large dining room gives the diner a great view of the kitchen but is extremely noisy. Luckily we sat in a side room where we could have a conversation. There is beautiful woodwork on the walls, padded chairs and clothless tables.

Our waitress recited the specials without the prices and after I asked her twice for the price of an item she got the idea and gave us the prices with her recitation. Wines are very expensive here. I counted 123 wines on the wine list. Sixteen were $30 or under. Thirty two were $50 or under. That leaves a lot of wines in the $50 and over range. We ordered a Rutz Cellars' 00 that was $48 after we were told that they were out of our first choice which was a less expensive wine. They were also out of Sambuca which a friend ordered after dinner.

We all loved our appetizers which were beautifully presented on different shaped white plates. We had a pureed white bean soup with sage pesto, and a Parmesan Reggiano crisp; an excellent arugula salad with tremendous walnuts, blue cheese, shaved Granny Smith apple and a cider vinaigrette; a $12.95 Maryland lump crab cake which my friend said was worth the price; and perfectly cooked sauteed squid with a tomato, onion, and roasted Spanish pouquillo pepper salsa.

Entrees were hit and miss. The 12 ounce grilled pork chop had to be sent back because it was served well down rather than medium rare as requested. The grilled sirloin steak with rutabaga puree, roasted Vidalia onion and red wine veal sauce was fine. Lowell had the duck breast which I thought was chewy. It came with black pepper spaetzle and seared apple dice with honey. Lowell said the duck was not the best or even near the best that he has ever had. I had a special of halibut which I liked.

For dessert we shared a butterscotch ganache tart and we all enjoyed the butterscotch/chocolate combination. A plate of house-made cookies were tasty and could easily be shared by the table. Coffee was fine but we had to ask for refills. Phone: 908-647-3000.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 months later...

Went tonight and enjoyed it. A very welcome addition to the area, which had nothing much before. Rosie, you're right--it's beautiful--we loved the fireplaces. Surprisingly crowded for a Monday night. From the specials menu, 3 of us ordered the baby spinach salad with grapes, belgium postel cheese, and a balsamic vinaigrette ($8.95). One had the red pepper soup ($5.95). For entrees, 3 chose a salmon dish ($18.95), I had the mahi-mahi special over asparagus and wild rice with truffle oil ($23.95). Menu didn't knock me out in terms of creativity, although there were some interesting apps, but the food was good, service was pretty good, and atmosphere was really good. One of our offices is across the street so I am sure I will be back again.

• 6 months later...

I met a friend/client of mine for dinner a week or so ago at 3 West in Basking Ridge. The overall experience was very good. We were both very impressed with the decor of the place...commenting that while it is located at the end of a strip mall, once you step inside that aspect is completely forgotten. We were there on a Thursday and the bar was quite crowded and a bit noisy. We were seated at a booth table in the back dining area which was also full. Service was very attentive and professional. I started with a tuna tar tar which was very fresh although not bursting with any added flavor. I think I would have preferred it with some infused flavor in the dish itself rather than as it was served as it was almost bland with sushi style soy and wasabi on the side (which in my opinion is becoming a very overdone trend at a lot of places). My entree was a duck breast served with a simple jus over a medley of vegetables...the dish was prepared very well with just the right amount of flavor to compliment the meat without being to overwhelming. Skipped dessert that night but the choices seemed to be rather standard. A quite impressive wine list of choices both by the glass and bottle as well. I had a 2001 Castle Rock Pinot Noir which was excellent. I would reccommend giving this place a try as the area has many Italian eateries but not much in terms of anything with variety which this certainly is. I look forward to giving Ciao the sister Italian restaurant next door a try in the near future as well.

A.D.S.

I look forward to giving Ciao the sister Italian restaurant next door a try in the near future as well.

Tony, I've been to both and I like the food at Ciao better. No doubt that 3 West is the fancier restaurant but the food is hit and miss just as Rosie notes in her post. At the Traprock Brewery in Berkeley Heights (another of these owners' restaurants) I always order a fish dish because I find that the meat entrees are also hit and miss. The problem with 3 West is that the decor screams out to me to order a steak and a big red but the food is never that good especially for the price.

I do have to admit that the bar is great. I love a bar you can go to and drink scotch while late afternoon light streams in from the windows. Very Raymond Chandler.

David

• 2 weeks later...

we went to three west, loved the atmosphere, loved the food runner and the bus boy. we wwere very surprised at the attitude we got from the kitchen when asked to switch some of the accoutrements on one plate to that of another. I thought the request was simple enough, and we were told that the chef is an "artist" although he would do it at an additional charge- root vegetable risotto for creamy grits one would think the cost is about the same, if not cheaper. I understand about the creative thought that goes into a dish, but i also think then that my med. rare duck should have been cooked to an artistic burgundy color instead of an unappetizing battle ship grey. all in all i would go back, but not with great expectations, just to grab a bite to eat.

If he's an artist get him a fuckin paintbrush. I hate that shit that we're artists'. Please, I take pride in what I do but very little that we do is original, it's borrowing or embelishing on something that's been done. At least, 98% of the time. I do occasionally come up with something on my own but within 3 months someone else will be doing it, either they ate at The Grill or read about here or in a review. Artist, my ass. :laugh:

We have yet to get to your place lreda, sorry if i spelled it wrong,but i find your honesty refreshing. If i did not want to go there already you have just made it a "must" for me. I agree that there is not so much that hasn't been done but if the saying everything old is new again is true I find that a good chef is the person to prove it, and several have proven it time and again.

I love the quote in kitchen confidential? about cooks being craftsman and cooking being a craft.I found that to be one of the truest statements ever about that industry.

We have yet to get to your place  lreda, sorry if i spelled it wrong,but i find your honesty refreshing. If i did not want to go there already you have just made it a "must" for me. I agree that there is not so much that hasn't been done but if  the saying everything old is new again is true I find that a good chef is the person to prove it, and several have proven it time and again.

I love the quote in kitchen confidential? about cooks being craftsman and cooking being a craft.I found that to be one of the truest statements ever about that industry.

Lou's place is damn fine cookin'. He also has an extensive wine list.

Check it out, and report back. Don't forget to fill out a Zagat review and send it on to Andrea Clurman...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 year later...

Don't know it, but please post your 'findings,' Lou! I have a friend who lives in B.R. and we always end up at one of two places out there. I'd welcome an addition! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Nah, that's just LOU. :wink: No worries!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

In the universe of the bizarre, here's my experience from yesterday...I had never even heard of 3 West before Lou's post. Last night, I was grabbing a (wholly mediocre) bite with friends before the Pat Metheny Group concert :wub: and a friend of a friend said "The one place I really miss since moving away from the Bridgewater area is 3 West. Have you ever eaten there?" You should have seen my face! According to him (not a food person, from what I could gather) it's a nice place--not the sort of restaurant you go to 3x a week. So Lou, do tell!

O.K. I really want to like this place but the food was average at best. It's a fine looking place and I loved the bar. I ordered some chips while waiting for my bud. Luke warm chips with a sour cream dipping sauce that had no flavor When said bud arrived we ordered the pizza special. Had spinach, Tasso ham and some other stuff. Flavor was good but dough was soft and undercooked. I ordered tuna with barley, corn, roasted peppers, green beans & watercress. Sauce was balsamic reduction and a roasted pepper reduction. Too many tastes going on. Said bud had a scallops dish. It was pan-seared with sauteed spinach and a potato pancake. He liked it, I don't know and this will sound stupid but to me it looked too bland. I feel like Goldilocks. This one's too hot, this one's too cold.........

Cappuccino's were good, and thankfully hot. Vanilla Creme Brulee was good also. Funny thing, all the entree's on the menu were between $9-15 but the tuna was $27. That's a big price difference. I found it odd. Yeah, I'll go back but it'll be apps and wine by the glass. Could be a hip scene at happy hour I'm sure.