• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Missouri Wine Country

rabidscottsman

Im planning a vacation in May where i will be staying in the Hermann area of Missouri. I know that area is a big wine producing region and I was wondering if anybody has ever vacationed in the area.

I believe thare are 5 or 6 wineries in the hermann area and quite a few more in the towns surrounding the Missouri River Valley. I have tasted the wines from Stone Hill vineyard and was quite impressed with them. I really enjoyed the cream sherry that they make.

Has anybody ever stayed in this area and what vineyards, restaurants etc would you reccomend?

Well, I am a Missourian, and you have chosen a beautiful place, and at a beautiful time. I am not a wine expert, but here is what I know.

We have some wineries south of Hermann--near Ste. Genevieve. Crown Valley and Chaumette are 2 I can think of right off the bat.

Crown Valley is an interesting place, to say the least. They have a B & B, and TIGERS.

Chaumette Winery also has a B& B. The views from the main building are gorgeous.

And when you get tired of drinking wine, come on down to Iron County and do some sightseeing--we have several state parks, including the highest point in Missouri, and lots of antique/junque stores, with amazing prices. And the best BBQ in the state.

PM me if I can help you with anything else!!

sparrowgrass