• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover Pareve Desserts

Jason Perlow

I've been trying out dessert recipes. No more sponge cakes for me. (And it's not even Passover yet!) My husband thinks I'm crazy and that I should just put all the ingredients directly into the garbage and save myself some time. Every time he turns around, he sees me buying eggs. And I'm just making half-recipes!!

Most recent success story:

I found 2 spectacular-looking but dairy Passover recipes by Master Pastry Chef Delphin Gomes

Passover Baking

Here's the interesting part though. The Lemon Supreme Sponge Cake recipe contains a really good cake layer recipe. We're talking basic yellow cake like you'd want for a frosted layer cake. Not "potato-starch/egg-white squishy" at all. The small amount of butter can easily be replaced with margarine.

I dropped the amount of cake meal and made some other minor modifications. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd welcome them. I'm pretty happy with this cake though and am thinking of what to do with it now. (I did divide the recipe in half for testing purposes.) .... all those eggs!! I think that the reason for all the zest is that the lemons get used for the rest of the mousse/curd in the original recipe but I left them in anyway.

For a single 8-inch layer:

1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted margarine melted

2/3 cup cake meal

1/4 tsp salt

zest of 3 lemons or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

4 whole eggs - room temperature

4 egg yolks - room temperature

1 cup sugar

1 Tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch round pan with parchment on the

bottom and grease the sides.

Combine cake meal, salt, and zest, (if using) in a small bowl.

In another bowl, combine melted margarine, lemon juice, and vanilla (if using).

Beat eggs, yolks, and sugar in an electric mixer or with an electric

hand-mixer, until mixture is thick and a creamy pale yellow.

Fold in cake meal. Gently fold in margarine mixture. Put in pan and

bake about 30 minutes or until cake springs back and toothpick comes

out clean.

Let cool 10 minutes in pan on rack and then take out of pan to finish

cooling.

Jayne

Edited by jaynesb (log)

Every time he turns around, he sees me buying eggs. And I'm just making half-recipes!!

I separated my first 16 dozen eggs yesterday. I actually enjoy it - find it somewhat theraputic and relaxing :huh:

Most of my recipes are based on chiffons - for a simpe dessert (ie: not fancy) I've added Plum Kuchen to my dessert list this year. It can be done with any fruit you want. Mix a simple batter (eggs, oil, sugar, cake meal), pour half in a greased pan, then layer the fruit, then add the rest of the batter. If you're interested in quantites, let me know and I'll (find) and add them later.

Passover Plum Kuchen

3/4 cup cake meal 2 eggs

3/4 cup cottonseed oil 3/4 cup sugar

1 pinch salt 3 large plums -- (cut into 1/8's)

2 T. sugar 1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together the eggs, 3/4 c. sugar and oil until combined. Add the cake meal and mix in.

In a separate bowl, toss the plums, 2 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon together.

Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 8" x 8" baking dish. Carefully arrange the plum slices in a single layer on top of the batter. Using two spoons, carefully cover the plums with the remaining batter. If the cake doesn't look perfect that's ok - as it bakes it should even out.

Place the cake in a preheated 350 F oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

• 2 weeks later...