• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indonesian Jackfruit Curry

The Bali topic made me think of this .... I had a truly luscious jackfruit curry there (better the second day, the cook advised), and a Balinese friend told me that Jogjakarta is especially known for this dish and that the version there is super chili-spicy. It made me wonder if this dish has significant variations from island to island or region to region in Indonesia ... something along the lines of the way laksa varies in Malaysia. Experts please weigh in! (otherwise I'll have to spend a month in Indonesia researching for myself :biggrin: ).

I'm not sure the variation is along the Laksa route... as least I haven't tasted a sourish/tamarind version of this dish. The Peranakan Singaporean version is the Sayur Nangka Masak Lemak which is cooked in coconut milk (the first squeeze) - the spice paste is made up of belachan (fermented prawn paste), chillies, shallots, and bua keras (candlenuts)... Yummmmmmmm

The Bali topic made me think of this .... I had a truly luscious jackfruit curry there (better the second day, the cook advised), and a Balinese friend told me that Jogjakarta is especially known for this dish and that the version there is super chili-spicy.  It made me wonder if this dish has significant variations from island to island or region to region in Indonesia ... something along the lines of the way laksa varies in Malaysia.  Experts please weigh in!  (otherwise I'll have to spend a month in Indonesia researching for myself  :biggrin: ).

The Bali topic made me think of this .... I had a truly luscious jackfruit curry there (better the second day, the cook advised), and a Balinese friend told me that Jogjakarta is especially known for this dish and that the version there is super chili-spicy.  It made me wonder if this dish has significant variations from island to island or region to region in Indonesia ... something along the lines of the way laksa varies in Malaysia.[..]

At one point, I started what I hoped would be a broader look at variation of dishes in the region (look here), but it's probably better to discuss each dish separately, as you're doing.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm not sure the variation is along the Laksa route... as least I haven't tasted a sourish/tamarind version of this dish. The Peranakan Singaporean version is the Sayur Nangka Masak Lemak which is cooked in coconut milk (the first squeeze) - the spice paste is made up of belachan (fermented prawn paste), chillies, shallots, and bua keras (candlenuts)... Yummmmmmmm
The Bali topic made me think of this .... I had a truly luscious jackfruit curry there (better the second day, the cook advised), and a Balinese friend told me that Jogjakarta is especially known for this dish and that the version there is super chili-spicy.  It made me wonder if this dish has significant variations from island to island or region to region in Indonesia ... something along the lines of the way laksa varies in Malaysia.  Experts please weigh in!  (otherwise I'll have to spend a month in Indonesia researching for myself   :biggrin: ).

Uhmm :unsure: .. I think what ecr meant by the laksa route is that she's wondering whether there are all sorts variations of jackfruit curry in different regions/islands in Indonesia like there is for laksa in Malaysia.

Anyway, I am ignorant as to variations of jackfruit curry - only know the masak lemak like what Suburbanpeasant has described and what I ate recently in Bali.

Am waiting for the experts Yetty and kew to post :biggrin:. Think there might have been some mention of young jackfruit curry on Indian board.

Yes Shiewie, that's what I meant, as there are regional variations of the Malaysian dish laksa, are there regional variations of the Indonesian dish jackfruit curry?

What I had in Bali was jeruk naneka (if I'm reading my notes correctly --- there's a big blob of curry paste on them :laugh: ) ... but I think that just means (young) jackfruit curry.

Jeruk means pickles in Malaysia but that doesn't seem to apply here either :raz:...pickled jackfruit with curry paste  :unsure:. Yetty?

Actually, acar with curry paste sounds fine to me. Why not?

Michael aka "Pan"

Sorry to get off track: regional variations of Laksa - tell me more... I only know of the 2 types: the assam type in Penang and the lemak type in Singapore. Interested to know the other variations..

The Bali topic made me think of this .... I had a truly luscious jackfruit curry there (better the second day, the cook advised), and a Balinese friend told me that Jogjakarta is especially known for this dish and that the version there is super chili-spicy.  It made me wonder if this dish has significant variations from island to island or region to region in Indonesia ... something along the lines of the way laksa varies in Malaysia.  Experts please weigh in!  (otherwise I'll have to spend a month in Indonesia researching for myself   :biggrin: ).

Uhmm :unsure: .. I think what ecr meant by the laksa route is that she's wondering whether there are all sorts variations of jackfruit curry in different regions/islands in Indonesia like there is for laksa in Malaysia.

Anyway, I am ignorant as to variations of jackfruit curry - only know the masak lemak like what Suburbanpeasant has described and what I ate recently in Bali.

Am waiting for the experts Yetty and kew to post :biggrin:. Think there might have been some mention of young jackfruit curry on Indian board.

Hmmm... could jerul be Balinese?

Yetti, look forward to those pictures. But back to the original question --- do you know of regional variations on jackfruit curry. Or to put it another way, is gudeg jogja markedly different from other Indonesian jackfruit curries and if so, how?

Thanks...

Sorry to get off track: regional variations of Laksa - tell me more... I only know of the 2 types: the assam type in Penang and the lemak type in Singapore.  Interested to know the other variations..

See the laksa thread.

Am waiting for the experts Yetty and kew to post  :biggrin:.

Is that like calling me a loyar buruk? :hmmm::laugh:

The Malays of Johor are very much influenced by the Indonesians. Wait .. . that's an understatement. :biggrin: The Malays of Johor largely have ancestors from Indonesia. My paternal Grandpa is a Bugis from Indonesia (my maternal Grandpa hails from Tangshan, China)

Anyways ..... the only 4 jackfruit dishes that I know of the Curry, the Masak Lemak (coconut milk), the Gulai and the kerabu (salad) and all of them uses young jackfruit.

The Jackfruit curry is just like the regular spicey brown currry.

The Masak Lemak is cooked like so : put pounded dried shrimp (rather than belacan) or anchovies, shallot and just a tad of garlic and jackfruit in a pot, add thin coconut milk and boil until jackfruit is almost cooked. Then add freshly ground black pepper and thick coconut milk. Stir while cook to boiling. May add a dash to powdered tumeric too. Btw, the jackfruit is blanched separately first to remove excess 'gum'.

And the other is jackfruit salad. Not sure how this is made though.

And I have only heard of Gulai Nangka which is the chilli-based type of 'currry' but have never had it. It's like gulai tumis which is not unlike sambal tumis but more watery from tamarind juice.

:smile: