• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birkenstock clogs

chefworks91

Hi all, me again.

As you know I will be visiting New York this weekend and I need a new pair for Birki clogs. Do any of you know where I can get them in the city. It would be helpful rather than having to hunt for them and spend hours doing so.

I am looking to find "orange" ones because they no longer sell the orange color here in Montreal. Thanks everyone for your help!

eighth street. (between 5th ave and 6th ave) there are a bunch of shoe stores, quite a few with a rather good clog and chef type shoe selection...have you considered dansko clogs..i quite like mine, yet nothing compares to my SVEN CUSTOM MADE CLOGS!!!!!!!!!!! I DESIGNED THEM MYSELF :cool: if you go to svenbeach.com you might be hooked, good prices too...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Hi all, me again.

As you know I will be visiting New York this weekend and I need a new pair for Birki clogs. Do any of you know where I can get them in the city. It would be helpful rather than having to hunt for them and spend hours doing so.

I am looking to find "orange" ones because they no longer sell the orange color here in Montreal. Thanks everyone for your help!

I think orange was discontinued. I know red was discontinued because I can't replace my old red ones (in kid's sizes). Yellow will be coming out in a few months - but I'm not sure how I feel about yellow. Robyn

I think orange was discontinued.  I know red was discontinued because I can't replace my old red ones (in kid's sizes).  Yellow will be coming out in a few months - but I'm not sure how I feel about yellow.  Robyn

Robyn, I'm not sure what a kid's size is, but if you wear a 35 or 36 you can get a red Super Birki here. Since they only have the two sizes, I'm sure it's discontinued.

Emma Peel

Schtupid question, but -- why on earth do chefs wear clogs? Out of all the different footwear options, these things seem like one of the last picks I'd go for...

The support of them, from what I understand. Personally, I've never worn them, but I've asked the same question. :)

Schtupid question, but -- why on earth do chefs wear clogs? Out of all the different footwear options, these things seem like one of the last picks I'd go for...

I spent about ten years in the retail business, standing all day on concrete floors, often in one place for extended periods of time. Having experimented with many types of footwear including the "postal worker shoes" offered by an industrial/commercial shoe supplier, I find the clogs to be the absolute best support shoe on the planet.

Look around to see what chefs, surgeons and others who stand on their feet for extended periods of time have settled on wearing - clogs are at the top of the list.

I now work four early morning shifts every week as a barista befotre heading in to my "day job". We have shock mats behind the bar but I still wear my Dansk clogs every day and my legs/feet never ever bother me, even if I do an extended shift. Considering the fact that I'm nearly 50 years old and could lose a few pounds, that's impressive.

I happen to love the closed heel style of the Dansk product but you can get that brand, Ecco, Birkenstock and some others all at good prices at Shoe Mania. They have a store on the southern end of Union Square at the corner of Broadway and 14th right by Virgin records.

Since putting on a pair of Dasko's 5 years ago that's all I ever wear. Lower back pain is gone. Try some and throw all other shoes away. :biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I think orange was discontinued.  I know red was discontinued because I can't replace my old red ones (in kid's sizes).  Yellow will be coming out in a few months - but I'm not sure how I feel about yellow.  Robyn

Robyn, I'm not sure what a kid's size is, but if you wear a 35 or 36 you can get a red Super Birki here. Since they only have the two sizes, I'm sure it's discontinued.

In Birki's - I wear a 32. As for why people wear them - for me - they're the perfect gardening shoe. Slog around in the mud - wash them off with a hose. Robyn

All of the above.... and they also don't slip as easily on slick floors.

And besides they are helpful for folks like me that are vertically challenged.

Vertically challenged I am not but they darn near make me tower over people. As other have pointed out, the finish on some brands and types such as my black Dansko's, is darn near indestructible. A quick wipe with some polish and a brush and fast rub with a polishing cloth makes them look almost new. Mine are about 2 - 3 years old and wear like new. By the way - in my experience they are not good for walking long distances in one fell swoop. I walked about 5 or 6 miles one long evening in NYC in them and it wasn't good.

Clogs work the same muscles that the old Dr Scholes sandals touted

Great for your calf muscles which seem to shorten when you stand a lot or wear regular heels. When you walk in clogs you tighten your toes with each step working these muscles. Physical therapist put me in them for kitchen work years ago.....ya know the foot bone - knee bone - lower back bones etc something like that :rolleyes:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association