• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yo LaBan!

Holly Moore

Today's Inquirer included a special section - "Where We Live - South Philadelphia". Page two was a summary by Inquirer Food Critic Craig LaBan - a sentence or two on a bunch of South Philly restaurants.

LeBan did ok. A nice little list for a relative newcomer to Philadelphia. But the omissions are glaring. Most obvious, the Melrose Diner, South Philadelphia's town square where the neighborhood comes together for breakfast.

Others that should have made the cut: George's Sandwiches in the Italian Market, Carman's Country Kitchen, Plaza Garabaldi (as much as I like his favorite La Lupe, Plaza Garabaldi outcooks La Lupe by a mile), Marra's, Texas Wieners. Pat's and Gino's. Pat's may not build the best cheesesteak but they invented it and serve it with the most authentic South Philly 'tude. Geno's too is all about South Philadelphia.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

and taqueria la veracruzana, whose tacos i like better than la lupe's, and who has awesome birria.

but don't worry holly, tons of stuff got left out. except for a brief mention in the lead article, they basically ignored all of south philadelphia west of broad.

There were definitely some omissions, but that's to be expected. And Mrbigjas is correct when he points out that most of west of Broad Street was ignored. In fact, other than L'Angolo which is barely west of Broad I can't think of anything that's mentioned on the west side. No Dad's Stuffings? None of the Ritner Street bakeries? No Melrose Diner?? Even though the song says so, apparently not EVERYONE goes to the Melrose. At least not Mr. Laban.

There's a WINE BAR in South Philly?? How could I not know about that? :blink:

Brick Oven baked Arugula Pizza at Ristorante Pesto???!!!???

I smell a Pizza Club stop in the near future. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Today's Inquirer included a special section - "Where We Live - South Philadelphia".  Page two was a summary by Inquirer Food Critic Craig LaBan - a sentence or two on a bunch of South Philly restaurants.

LeBan did ok.  A nice little list for a relative newcomer to Philadelphia.  But the omissions are glaring.  Most obvious, the Melrose Diner, South Philadelphia's town square where the neighborhood comes together for breakfast. 

Others that should have made the cut:  George's Sandwiches in the Italian Market, Carman's Country Kitchen, Plaza Garabaldi (as much as I like his favorite La Lupe, Plaza Garabaldi outcooks La Lupe by a mile), Marra's, Texas Wieners.  Pat's and Gino's.  Pat's may not build the best cheesesteak but they invented it and serve it with the most authentic South Philly 'tude.  Geno's too is all about South Philadelphia.

All he really did was reprise places he had visited or written about previously , rather than any new reporting; that's why so many places were excluded or not mentioned. The Melrose is, to me, the most glaring error. He mentions Pat's and Geno's without any details. He also missed Veracruzana, too, another huge glaring ommission.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

He also missed Veracruzana, too, another huge glaring ommission.

And that's surprising, he was an early supporter of that place. Some of these omissions could be oversights, but also, there are mundane pragmatic issues, sometimes stuff gets chopped in editing purely for space.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

No Melrose Diner??  Even though the song says so, apparently not EVERYONE goes to the Melrose.  At least not Mr. Laban.

Everybody who knows goes to Melrose. Maybe he doesn't know about it? :laugh: Oh well, the Melrose stinks anyway, but it's a landmark place so I guess it deserves to be in there.

There were definitely some omissions, but that's to be expected.  And Mrbigjas is correct when he points out that most of west of Broad Street was ignored.  In fact, other than L'Angolo which is barely west of Broad I can't think of anything that's mentioned on the west side.  No Dad's Stuffings?  None of the Ritner Street bakeries?

no criniti's (isn't that on the west side of broad now?)

No Melrose Diner??  Even though the song says so, apparently not EVERYONE goes to the Melrose.  At least not Mr. Laban.

ha, my wife went there for breakfast yesterday on her day off...

There's a WINE BAR in South Philly??  How could I not know about that?  :blink: 

he's talking about paradiso, which i've been to--i went right around when it opened (i posted about it here somewhere, but it might be in that big ol' thread that's locked now so i can't find it). in my experience it's much more a restaurant than a wine bar. i mean, it has a bar, and it has a smallish but well thought-out wine list, but it didn't strike me as a someplace that thought of itself as a wine bar at all.

p.s. if you go, get the rabbit cacciatore. it's awesome. the tripe appetizer is too.

(edited for clarity)

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Everybody who knows goes to Melrose.  Maybe he doesn't know about it?  :laugh:  Oh well, the Melrose stinks anyway, but it's a landmark place so I guess it deserves to be in there.

Actually I view the Melrose as an extremely well run diner.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I don't have a problem with the service or style of the place, I just think you can get better food at just about any other diner in the area (and there are lots). Last time I went to the Melrose I had a tuna sandwich, which was OK, and a fruit cup that was obviously from a can and had a weird aftertaste.

Criniti's is still on the east side of Broad, they just moved south a couple doors. I haven't been to the new place yet. They were just reviewed in the South Philly Review and got I think a 1.5 out of 4. I used to eat there a lot myself. I was back a few months ago and I have to agree with the SPR. There's so much competition these days, with places like L'Angolo right around the corner. Good, basic italian joints like Criniti's are easily outdone.

he's talking about paradiso, which i've been to--i went right around when it opened (i posted about it here somewhere, but it might be in that big ol' thread that's locked now so i can't find it).  in my experience it's much more a restaurant than a wine bar.  i mean, it has a bar, and it has a smallish but well thought-out wine list, but it didn't strike me as a someplace that thought of itself as a wine bar at all.

I have to get to this place. Maybe this weekend. I'll be sure to report back!

Criniti's is still on the east side of Broad, they just moved south a couple doors.

ah. i wasn't sure which way they'd moved...

I haven't been to the new place yet.  They were just reviewed in the South Philly Review and got I think a 1.5 out of 4.  I used to eat there a lot myself.  I was back a few months ago and I have to agree with the SPR.  There's so much competition these days, with places like L'Angolo right around the corner.  Good, basic italian joints like Criniti's are easily outdone.

criniti's has one thing which i will always treasure, and that's their gravy, which comes as a side on spaghetti or penne, with every entree you order. i don't much care for the sauce-laden scallopini or things like that. but that gravy is so damn good....

oh and also they'll bring you the hugest plate of sauteed broccoli rabe or spinach on the side for like $3. that's awesome.

but don't worry holly, tons of stuff got left out.  except for a brief mention in the lead article, they basically ignored all of south philadelphia west of broad.

Food-wise, definitely. And by and large, all other aspects-wise too, except for a rather nice article about the new housing development at the former Tasker Homes.

As for why this is the case: No, not gonna play the race card. No siree.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

As for why this is the case:  No, not gonna play the race card.  No siree.

On second thought, maybe I will play the race card on one comment:

That neighbor of Tom Ferrick's who is anonymously quoted as objecting to a plan to locate a State Store closer to the Italian Market, on the grounds that it would encourage them to cross 11th Street.

That guy must not shop the Italian Market on Saturdays. Ever. They have been crossing 11th to go there for years--certainly as long as I've lived in Philly (21 years).

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Indeed. It's gotten attention from one of the major business mags (can't remember which one) as one of "the best places in America to work". Obviously that's a hard claim to judge or evaluate, but they interviewed lots of employees who had worked there for decades, who had been lent money to put themselves or their kids through school, et cetera. Pretty impressive.

And I've never eaten there! Which shows that I don't knows. And that I need to add it to the list. This weekend, maybe.

And I've never eaten there! Which shows that I don't knows. And that I need to add it to the list. This weekend, maybe.

One of my colleagues would bring their layer cakes when it was her turn at birthday tag.

Killer buttercream!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I've always liked it there, it does have that feel of a timeless institution with waitresses that aren't doing schtick when they call you "hun", they mean it.... Staff is friendly, but there's still enough south philly 'tude that it feels real.

But I've never been thrilled with their food. I love simple diner fare, and theirs is OK, but I've never really loved anything I had (sorry, even the hash browns!)

Desserts are better, indeed the cakes and pies always seemed really good to me (although most of my late-night pie runs may have been made with impaired facilities.)

Philly Mag did an Apple Pie survey a couple months ago, and the panel seemed to pretty universally hate the Melrose pie, but I say, drip some of their hot vanilla sauce on there... it's transformed, it's one of my favorite desserts anywhere.

So I hope the Melrose is there forever, and I'll keep going, and liking it, but I'll never think of it as a culinary destination.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Indeed. It's gotten attention from one of the major business mags (can't remember which one) as one of "the best places in America to work". Obviously that's a hard claim to judge or evaluate, but they interviewed lots of employees who had worked there for decades, who had been lent money to put themselves or their kids through school, et cetera. Pretty impressive.

Enjoying the Melrose (especially at 2Am for breakfast or hot apple pie and vanilla sauce) is one of the quintessential Philadelphia dining experiences, like the Reading Terminal Market, Pat's and Geno's and Jim's, McGillin's for a beer, and all that. It is an absolute must-go. An exceptionally well-run and executed diner experience.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Can somebody clue me in as to exactly where the Italian Mkt is? I could dig it out for myself, no doubt, but as long as I'm here.......

Heading down to Philly for a couple days next week. Love the Reading Terminal Mkt, have yet to check out the Italian one, don't know if we'll have time, always good to be prepared with the info.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Can somebody clue me in as to exactly where the Italian Mkt is?  I could dig it out for myself, no doubt, but as long as I'm here.......

Heading down to Philly for a couple days next week.  Love the Reading Terminal Mkt, have yet to check out the Italian one, don't know if we'll have time, always good to be prepared with the info.

South 9th Street from Washington Ave to around Christian St. There's a few things south of Wash but not much Italian stuff. Pat's and Geno's are at 9th & Wharton.

Can somebody clue me in as to exactly where the Italian Mkt is?

Excellent hoagies and bread to be found at Sarcone's; cheese at DiBruno Bros.; and Vietnamese/Mexican food along Washington Ave (see above posts).

Hey, don't forget the tripe sandwiches at George's!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thank you one & all!

I'm already craving a Sarcone's hoagie...... :raz:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Hey, don't forget the tripe sandwiches at George's!

Oh, I know I left out a TON of stuff :) although personally, I'm a little wary of tripe. Tendon yes (like in pho), tripe no, for some reason.