• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hate to wait? first-come, first-served etiquette

Gifted Gourmet

I used to work at a palce in Charleston SC that never took reservations but if you were a somebody you could easily be let in faster, ironicly that place was always busy. So busy in fact we sent people across thee street to the local tavern and the tavern owners would tell the customers once we called them. The owners of the tavern and resturant were completly different but we sent so much busness to the tavern they didn't care.

I'm loving this discussion! We own a small breakfast and lunch place that is quite busy, and we have never taken reservations or done call ahead seating. We never even thought people would expect that, but we get all kinds of calls for it. We have a sign in list and we seat the next party at the next available table that will fit them. Period. Counter seats are first come, first served. We have been absolutely consistent with that policy for years, because we think it's the most fair to everyone, but we still get people who think we ought to treat them specially. We don't make exceptions for regulars or friends or family or even celebrities (if we ever got any :raz: ).

We only have 14 tables, and taking reservations would kill us. We have to keep our tables full, and averaging only about 45 min/turn. When we have a waiting list, our tables only sit empty for a minute or two - as long as it takes to clear it, wipe it and call the next party. We want our customers to know that we are working to get them seated as quickly as possible and most people are very understanding.

The biggest issue we have is that when we are busy and on a wait, we insist that an entire party be present before we seat the table. If everyone is not there, we move to the next party. The partial party stays next on the list until everyone shows. I'd be curious to know what others here think of that policy, because we have some customers who have told us they think it's wrong, unfair and even "insulting" (???) to them. I don't get that. We can't even trust people when they say their other party is "just parking the car" - we've been told that and then they don't show for 20 minutes! If we have a day where lots of parties take an extra 20 minutes at their table, it really makes a difference in our sales. Not to mention the servers' tips.

The other irritating issue is people who manipulate our system by signing in as 3 when they know they will be 4, just so they can get seated faster, then they wait to order til the 4th person gets there.

Actually, I think our system works pretty well, but I am always amazed at how some people see it differently.

[...]

The biggest issue we have is that when we are busy and on a wait, we insist that an entire party be present before we seat the table. If everyone is not there, we move to the next party. The partial party stays next on the list until everyone shows. I'd be curious to know what others here think of that policy, because we have some customers who have told us they think it's wrong, unfair and even "insulting" (???) to them. I don't get that. We can't even trust people when they say their other party is "just parking the car" - we've been told that and then they don't show for 20 minutes! If we have a day where lots of parties take an extra 20 minutes at their table, it really makes a difference in our sales. Not to mention the servers' tips.[...]

Fully understood. You have 14 tables. Your policy is reasonable. Many people find it inconvenient. I've been there and as a customer, I don't like such policies (in the sense that they can be annoying when you're among those waiting), but I sure understand them. Stick to your guns!

Michael aka "Pan"

The biggest issue we have is that when we are busy and on a wait, we insist that an entire party be present before we seat the table. If everyone is not there, we move to the next party. The partial party stays next on the list until everyone shows. I'd be curious to know what others here think of that policy, because we have some customers who have told us they think it's wrong, unfair and even "insulting" (???) to them. I don't get that. We can't even trust people when they say their other party is "just parking the car" - we've been told that and then they don't show for 20 minutes! If we have a day where lots of parties take an extra 20 minutes at their table, it really makes a difference in our sales. Not to mention the servers' tips.

We do this as well, during lunch time (because folks generally have to be in and out in an hour), and during prime time at dinner. We have a lot of elderly customers that insist on sitting while waiting for the rest of their party, but since most of them dine so early it usually isn't an issue that effects anyone else.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What annoys you about the wait?

Honestly, the fact that I'm hypoglycemic. If I wait thirty or forty unplanned minutes for a table, then another thirty minutes (at least) for my order to be taken, and to return from the kitchen, then I am usually no longer in a state to enjoy the food; I'm bitchy, headachey, so hungry I can't taste it, and generally no

Ever heard of a small snack?

Like I said, eating first so I can go out and spend a bunch of cash to eat? Right. The point, please? How 'bout I stay home, and cook my own food, and restaurateurs can just do without my particular segment of revenue?