• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak in Restaurants in France

menton1

Steak in Europe is different in amy ways: the cuts are different (except maybe for filet), and the meat is mostly heifer not cow; enphasis is more on flavour than butter tenderness.

As always, if you order steak well done you will get what you deserve...

Nothing beats a good steak frites from time to time.  :biggrin:

I was feeling a little saddened by Bux's first post, but this made me warm and cozy again. Thank you!

A simple steak is a favorite meal of French chefs, even the "high end", celebrity chef type of the species. :biggrin:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Nothing beats a good steak frites from time to time.  :biggrin:

I was feeling a little saddened by Bux's first post, but this made me warm and cozy again. Thank you!

whadidisay?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Yes the "English language website" threw me a little at first too. English as lingua franca obviously, but not just a native or primary English speakers point of view. Two different things. Anyway that's been cleared up. International group hug. :biggrin:

Back on topic. Steaks, yes French chefs love to eat it as much as they say do. As for eating what they actually serve. It's hard to do. When I first met my husband I was wide eyed and was like, "You get to eat all of this stuff?!" And his response was a cringe, followed by, "yes, but I don't." I've worked with him on and off in commercial kitchens, every position on the kitchen line, including sous chef and pastry. Yes, there comes a point at which there is too much of even the good things. When my husband was out for a day or just busy doing Exec chef stuff, I would have to taste everything that the BOH staff made. There's nothing that fatigues the palate more than this. And in order to refresh the palate, best to keep most meals simple during work days anyway. Steak, GOOD.

Back on topic. Steaks, yes French chefs love to eat it as much as they say do.

It's because they're human. Most people who eat meat love steak and amongst them, the harder-working ones do need it. I don't think there's anything remarkable about this. Like "Wow, living gods do eat steak after all! They don't dine on haute cuisine all the time!" Well, of course they don't.

As for eating what they actually serve. It's hard to do.

It's not even possible. As you say, there is too much of even the good things. And in this particular case, elaborate restaurant food is okay as long as you don't eat it every day. Also, the more cerebrality there is in it, the less "livelihood" it contains. It doesn't really feed you, that is not its purpose. When I've had it for a few days in a row, returning home I crave for very, very simple food that I cook alone. I understand what it must be for someone who has to produce that kind of elaborate food everyday. And indeed I've never seen a chef eat his "professional" cooking ; every time a starred chef has told me about what he likes to eat, or eaten it with me, it was indeed steak, tomate-mozzarella, grilled pork chops, lentil soup, plain Ibérico ham, simple risotto or baked pig's head. And one of them hardly drinks anything but Coke (no names :biggrin: )

. . . They don't dine on haute cuisine all the time!" Well, of course they don't.

. . . .

There's a thread, Famous chefs' meal choices when they travel, in the Media forum. It's in response to an article from the NY Times Business section. It touches on this subject with a response from a certain French chef. What impressed me about the article was, as I noted in that thread, that the French chefs (2) interviewed, seemed to want to learn about the local or regional good when they traveled. I don't mean to start a discussion on the subject here, but merely to point out the other thread.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.