• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Choucroute & Cassoulet

jogoode

I hear Les Halles is serving three or four types throughout Jan and some of Feb. Where else can I find it?Are there any restaurants that focus their food on Alsace?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

• 1 month later...

Jarnac

328 W 12th Street

Really good choucroute! Rib bacon, knockworst, bratworst, smoked pork chop cooked in riesling wine, juniper berries, black pepper corns, and pickled cabbage with dijon mustard!

Jarnac

328 W 12th Street

Really good choucroute! Rib bacon, knockworst, bratworst, smoked pork chop cooked in riesling wine, juniper berries, black pepper corns, and pickled cabbage with dijon mustard!

I'll have to try it! How much do they charge? I've heard good things on eGullet about Jarnac.

And I'm excited to try db Bistro's version, which I assume will be about $30.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I hear Les Halles is serving three or four types throughout Jan and some of Feb. Where else can I find it?Are there any restaurants that focus their food on Alsace?

I had Les Halles's Choucrote Garnie the other day - got into the restaurant at about 11:15 on a Thursday night, when they were getting close to closing, but I was treated like royalty. The Choucrote (first time I've had it, so I can't really cross-compare to other examples) consisted of two different sausages (one white, one pink), a thick piece of slab bacon, a piece of what I think was fatback, a potato and a thick, smoked pork chop, all served over a thick bed of saurkraut. There was also a big cup of mustard to slather over everything.

While I can't speak to other examples of Choucrote, I really enjoyed the different flavors of pork as they mixed with the saurkraut & mustard - it was like the ultimate expression of carnival/fair food. The sausages reminded me of Usinger's - very well spiced, and a good quality of meat. My favorite piece though was the pork chop - it was wonderfully flavored, and perfectly tender - enough texture that I could move my teeth through it, but not tough at all.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

After climbing the Grand Ballon in Alsace we were starving. Stop at the nearest cafe for food was the deal. I spotted a little place.......tucked back on a side street that had a hand made sign: "Cafe". Madame greeted us at the door (portly and with red cheeks) and informed us that the only meal available was the choucroute. Bring it on! Oh my, a platter that easily could've fed 10 people......sausages galore, fresh pork, smoked pork, slabs of bacon, boiled potatoes and the kraut. We ate it all. One of the best meals I've ever had. Washed down with Alsacian wine.

I had Les Halles's Choucrote Garnie the other day - got into the restaurant at about 11:15 on a Thursday night, when they were getting close to closing, but I was treated like royalty. The Choucrote (first time I've had it, so I can't really cross-compare to other examples) consisted of two different sausages (one white, one pink), a thick piece of slab bacon, a piece of what I think was fatback, a potato and a thick, smoked pork chop, all served over a thick bed of saurkraut. There was also a big cup of mustard to slather over everything.

While I can't speak to other examples of Choucrote, I really enjoyed the different flavors of pork as they mixed with the saurkraut & mustard - it was like the ultimate expression of carnival/fair food. The sausages reminded me of Usinger's - very well spiced, and a good quality of meat. My favorite piece though was the pork chop - it was wonderfully flavored, and perfectly tender - enough texture that I could move my teeth through it, but not tough at all.

Thanks for the report. Maybe you should try the choucroute at Jarnac, for your second taste of choucroute. I, of course, now have to try both!

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Jarnac

328 W 12th Street

I'll have to try it! How much do they charge? I've heard good things on eGullet about Jarnac.

Choucroute at Jarnac is served on Thursday nights for about $24, give or take a few dollars. It's really worth the price and depending upon your appetite, it can probably feed two! Because anything made with sourkraut gets better as it ages my advice is to go to Jarnac on a Friday and hope they have some left.

Choucroute at Jarnac is served on Thursday nights for about $24, give or take a few dollars. It's really worth the price and depending upon your appetite, it can probably feed two! Because anything made with sourkraut gets better as it ages my advice is to go to Jarnac on a Friday and hope they have some left.

If it's really that big, I can test your theory by paying close attention to my leftovers! Thursday only, huh? Good to know.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

• 1 month later...

I finally tried db's choucroute ($29). It was excellent and came as a much larger portion than I had expected -- it alone was enough for dinner and might even be enough for two people if they each have an appetizer as well.

Lots of fun pork on top of the nicely balanced kraut. There was smoked, stuffed shoulder, great bacon, crispy belly, wurst, and even a little pork croquette. Looked also to be some reduced pig jus around the kraut. It came with a little pot of sharp, sharp mustard. (I love mustard that gets in your nose!)

The very nice, very tall bartender suggested I try the choucroute with a bottle of Ommegang, which went well and I thought reasonably priced ($7) for a place like db. Dessert was on the house: two delicious pots de creme, one salty, buttery caramel and one sweet chocolate. They were served with a tiny warm brioche, which I thought was awesome. It too was a little salty.

The choucroute will be around for a while, but might disappear when the weather gets very warm, so try it soon. Oh, and it's not available Monday for lunch, only dinner.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Sounds awesome, JJ! I have to check that out. And, yea, that bartender is like, what, 8 feet tall? Good guy, too... turned me on to a nice grapefruit-flavored drink they're rolling out for Spring.

--

• 9 months later...
perfect time of the year for CASSOULET  et CHOUCROUTE , so where is the best in Manhattan?

I had amazing choucroute at DB Bistro last winter. It was a huge portion for around $28.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

:laugh:  :raz:  so thats it  :rolleyes:  1 response? guess its better to stick to the obvious

You posted on a weekend :wink:. Here's a thread on choucroute.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

:laugh:  :raz:  so thats it  :rolleyes:  1 response? guess its better to stick to the obvious

You posted on a weekend :wink:. Here's a thread on choucroute.

thx, thought w/e's would produce better results. anyway,

L'Absinthehe food ridiculously overpriced, particularly considering the quality of the food but its regulars don't seem to care; Jarnac has never been as good as many posts here seem to proclaim; haven't tried Park Bistro since ownership change; dbBistro too chi-chi & i'm probably the only one in Manhattan who is not wild about D. Boulud's various places since he begin branching out & is now simply the head of a hi-priced chain; Le Quinze is a wasted trip; & lastly, from the suggestions received so far, LCB Brasserie, will try if only for the decor, but i have a very suspicious feeling that it is probably similar to experiences at L'Absinthe & Orsay.

i don't mind paying more for ambiance, decor, above-average food, a la Balthazar, but Orsay, L'Absinthe, LCB Brasserie are all simply beautiful, very Parisian, but its just too hard (for me) to stomach the nose-bleed prices NOT justified by the food. the wine lists are simply amazing in their price audacity. i would love to know who are all these people who go fairly regularly. i can only assume they go to be seen, or live so close, its just too easy not to go. i'd like to think restaurant consumers would be more discerning, but are not. once a restaurant realizes their audience, or establishes itself as a "go-to" place, then price does NOT enter into the equation. i know this is the "Holy Grail" of restauranteurs, & 97% of restaurants, although good, never enter this rarified atmosphere. but, its hard for me to frequent these places, even though i can easily afford. its those people who these shrewd owners target knowing their egos far outweigh their common sense.

Edited by jgould (log)

Choucroute: L'Absinthe, Jarnac, LCB, Les Halles

Cassoulet: Park Bistro, Les Halles, Jarnac, LCB, Café Un Deux Trois, Le Quinze, Artisanal, Madison Bistro, Pastis, L'Acajou

will add to the above as discover more. comments are welcome

Edited by jgould (log)

Morrell Wine Bar serves cassoulet for $22. Anyone tried it?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com