• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Westchester Wedding Help!

twiggles

Hi all,

I'm recently engaged ( :wub: ), and my fiancee and i are looking for an interesting place for our wedding in westchester county. We'd love to have a place with a beautiful outdoor space, possibly a mansion setting. water views would also work well :). But, very importantly, we want a place with good food! I have looked into Tappan Hill (abigail kirsch) and it is the perfect setting, but i heard mixed things about the food. can anyone comment? any other suggestions? our price range is probably about $200 pp, with just about 100 people. On a whim I looked into Stone Barns, and it's a little bit above our price range. darn! :wink:

thank you!!

Too bad about Blue Hill. Equus certainly has nice setting, unsure if price will be much better. I went to a wedding at Le Chateau in South Salem, I've heard mixed reviews on the restaurant food, but I actually thought for big event catering it was quite nice (5 years ago).

Another possibility might be Harvest in Hastings. Great views, nice big room. Food isn't especially inventive, but usually pretty good.

I personally have never been too pleased with Chart House.

Under no circumstances go to Rudy's Beau Rivage. Truly bad food.

I have been to two events at Tappan Hill and reviewed the menues for one of them....alllllll the menues

you can go down scale or up

they do have more than one event at a time

the bathrooms are very nice

they dont have bars for the dining room waitress service only

the food was great given the different brides choices

my 2 favorite items were from their carving stations during the cocktail hour

....side of roasted salmon with apricot mustard glaze (i make that alot now) and baked ham with chutney on buttered buiscuts

a salad with goat cheese crouton had no discernable goat cheese

the chatoubriand was....fine, properly cooked

wild mushroom rav was very good

go for a tasting ...or two

their florist is good and they assign you a maitr'd that is at your beck and call for months

CONGRATULATIONS

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I was exactly in your shoes up until very recently. My wife and I wanted a wedding in a "countryside" setting so we looked at Blue Hill Stone Barns, fell in love with the food and the property but were also turned away by the exorbitant price.

If you would consider doing this further upstate in the hudson valley there is always John Novi at the Dupuy Canal House and Oliver Kita who cater for wedding events. I would not describe their food as extraordinary but it is above solid. If you are really settled on westchester county then you could also consider the Surf Club in New Rochelle. I am not familiar with the place but I have a friend who is getting married there this spring and he is very picky when it comes to food. Knowing him, it cannot be that bad.

BTW, after months spent searching, we ended up getting married in Manhattan :wink:

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

We rented a large loft space (with terrace) in midtown manhattan and had our food catered. Having good food at our wedding mattered greatly to us obviously, but we also thought that spending a fortune on fine dining for a wedding was ludicrous. Truth is, people tend to focus on the booze at weddings more than the food.

So, since I am of middle eastern origin, we served an all middle eastern meal. It is good, original and much cheaper!!!! The guests (my side of the family flew from France and hers from Japan) loved it!!

You can always PM me if you have any questions on rental spaces in Manhattan.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

CIA is in the process of building a catering hall at the Hyde Park campus. If I get further details I'll pass them on. They should be done by early this summer.

Edited by jeffperez62 (log)

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Here are a few things tossed out there...

In Chappaqua - Crabtree's Kittle House has the best winelist anywhere in the state outside of the city, is a mansion and has wonderful, seasonal food..

Plumbush Inn in Garrison/Cold Spring - A beautiful country "mansion" setting and, althought I havent been there in years, great food as far as I can remember. I don't even know if it is still around, but check it out. Garrison is such a beautiful part of the county.

La Panetiere in Rye is in a freestanding house, and has perhaps the best French food in Westchester.. Beautiful Gardens, and location - very close to the water -to boot..

I think we have got something to work with here!!

Edited by Brooklyn (log)

I used to work for AK in the city and at Tappan Hill, and for their "Off Premise" business. It has been few years and so I cannot comment on the current food. In a certain way, Allison Awerbach -Corp. Chef there tends to be a little overwrought, but has great taste in general. That said, as catering food goes it was better than most. The great thing about AK was that I felt they had the "whole event" down pat. They are definately pros there. And if the food wasn't A+ the care and planning and "I don't have to worry because I am in their hands" aspect made it worth the $$$$$. I mean that's how it seemed from where I worked.

Currently the Flying Pig (MT Kisco) is doing great food. but you would need to get a location yourself, and I haven't heard anyone comment on the "whole event" part of it....

BTW if you do end up at Tappan Hill, some Maitre'd are better than others.

I myself am getting married at TH in April 2005. We picked it because it was exactly how we like things: lovely and sophisticated, but earthy and accessible. We looked at the castles up there and although they are wonderful they're not really our style.

I can't yet comment on the food as our tasting isn't until March (to pick out the seasonal choices), but I haven't heard a bad word from anybody.

And yes, we did pick this place partially because of the 'they've got it all taken care of' factor. After all the planning efforts I've put into it in the past 8 months I'm really pleased to know the day of will flow smoothly...

I just hope our maitre'd is 'one of the better ones'! :blink:

-ral

PS - anyone have any ideas for a rehearsal dinner in the area? I think it's 35 people, about $35 - $40 per if there's anything in that range.

I just hope our maitre'd is 'one of the better ones'! :blink:

-ral

PS - anyone have any ideas for a rehearsal dinner in the area? I think it's 35 people, about $35 - $40 per if there's anything in that range.

for the Rehersal....I have been hearing good things about Lena's in South Nyack

lenasrestaurant.com

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks for the matre-d tips senorshuckerman. I'll hope for Sylvester or Cathy. I've also heard some nice things about Cathy and Greg from our bandleader.

I'm now checking into Harvest on Hudson (FYI, party room seating up to 32 upstairs available for $250 room fee plus prix fixe menu which I'm waiting on via fax).

I'll peek at Umami when I'm up there this weekend.

Is Luna more of a sandwich shop? That seems to be the info. about it on the web.

And I'm checking out Lena's thanks to rooftop1000, but I think it's out of our price range.

Thanks to all,

eat on,

-ral

PS - I'm going to start a new topic for this. :)