• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TAOS

zeman

I've eaten at TAOS (open about 3 weeks) a couple of times at the bar. It's part of the village restaurant group that owns the Village Gourmet, Tina Louise & Mignon. It's on Paterson Ave near Jerry's.

It's an interesting place where the bar lounge is actually nicer than the rear dining room. It has a large & visible wine cellar in front but right now they are poushinbg their "$20/bottle" wine list. Have not seen any other list but then again I have not asked for it.

Have had the tuna trio which consists of tuna tartare, sashimi & seared for $9.95. Not bad considering the price. The crab cake app was good as well. Recently had the General Toas Chicken that was moist, not too sweet & tpped with a whole roasted long hot pepper. The braised short ribs were pretty good as well.

I'm going back for more so will let you all know what else is tasty.

Zeman

Zeman

I like this place too. We sat at the bar about a week after they opened. My big knock was that the martinis were filled half way up the glass. The glasses were not huge either. Oh well.

I had the tuna trio for appetizer. It was excellent grade tuna. Each was seasoned perfectly.

My entree was a Chicken with sesame type sauce and steamed veggies. Portion was good sized but the dish was overall a little bland for my tastes. Everyone was happy with their meals.

The real deal here is a crab claw appetizer. I think it was $11 but you got a very generous portion of Dungeness crab claws for the money!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Hello everyone!

My fiance and I recently went to Taos. We got the Raw Bar for 2 appetizer. It was pretty good. Stone crab claws, crab meat, oysters, shrimp, and clams for 20 bucks..not too shabby.

I had lobster and clams in a ginger/soy sauce. Good stuff..I was worried that the sauce would overpower the seafood but it did not. This was served with rice and pickled eggplant.

My fiance had the Chicken Savoy. She seemed to enjoy it very much.

All in all, I enjoyed myself.