• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry blossoms (Sakura)

Pan

This year's sakura-gohan turned out much better than last year.

3.5 c mochi rice

1.5 c plain rice

Short piece konbu

½ tsp sugar

1 tab sake

100cc red wine (mild, pinotage)

If possible, small handful of pickled red shiso leaves, rinsed and minced

30g salted cherry blossoms (half a jar), briefly soaked in water. Blossoms added whole, stems chopped and added.

Wash and soak rice for 1-2 hours (i.e. use timer on rice cooker). Add all, mix, switch on, using "okowa" mode and "okowa" water level for just under 5.5 cups to allow for plain rice. (If your rice cooker doesn't have an "okowa" level, use a little less water than usual).

If you like decorate each serving (especially for bento) with a few extra cherry blossoms, rinsed, squeezed gently, and dipped in a little sake.

Hi all, i am new to this forum and was just browsing through and couldn't help noticing this thread on Cherry Blossoms. Made me want to post these photos of a cherry blossom themed wedding banquet that my wife and i had for her brothers wedding in Fukuoka. It was a truly memorable meal, hope you enjoy the pics:

gallery_52657_4505_78947.jpg

gallery_52657_2_67631.jpg

gallery_52657_4505_1084299.jpg