• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hookah bars?

stephenc

Anyone know of places in Philly that allow you to smoke hookah?

A hookah bar-type place is preferable to a restaurant that has hookahs. Bonus points if they have middle-eastern style teas. Super-bonus points if it actually has teas as well as a liquor license.

Anyone know of places in Philly that allow you to smoke hookah?

A hookah bar-type place is preferable to a restaurant that has hookahs.  Bonus points if they have middle-eastern style teas.  Super-bonus points if it actually has teas as well as a liquor license.

I believe that Roya now has a hookah bar. Don't know about tea, though they do have a liquor license.

Right across the street from my office is a place called, "Aromatic" at 113 Chestnut St.

It's Persian cuisine, and Helen, the owner (who used to own Helena's at Front and Chestnut and bartended at Brazil) has Hookah smoking most nights.

Her mom cooks there, and the Tuesday Lamb special is delicious.

They have your basic Middle Eastern type cuisine, but the specials are homemade and they have a bread oven for the pita. Their Hummus is some of the best I've ever had.

Helen keeps inviting me in for Hookah smoking, but I haven't had a chance.

No alcohol served, but her tea is so delicious! It's Persian brewed Hot Tea; can't describe the herbal flavor, but its tasty....maybe cinnamony or something?

Philly Francophiles

The Kabul Kafe , within the Rat's complex on the Grounds For Sculpture, in Hamilton, NJ (www.ratsrestaurant.org), has several hookahs for plain and flavored tobacco puffing. Neat place, too. And a good cafe menu.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Why go to a bar when you can enjoy one at home?  :raz:

gallery_21049_162_84271.jpg

Percy:

Why am I utterly not surprised that a gentleman of your impeccable taste would have the appropriate accoutrements at home?

If you have a set of antique Absinthe spoons, I'm inviting myself over and bringing the Absinthe too! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Why go to a bar when you can enjoy one at home?  :raz:

Percy:

Why am I utterly not surprised that a gentleman of your impeccable taste would have the appropriate accoutrements at home?

If you have a set of antique Absinthe spoons, I'm inviting myself over and bringing the Absinthe too! :biggrin:

Katie,

You’re making me blush :wub:

Funny you should mention Absinthe spoons; I was admiring a particular one in an antique store's window in Windsor (UK) a few months ago, but alas, the store was closed. My bottle of Absinthe awaits...shall I contact you when I procure a spoon worthy of your admiration? :biggrin:

Katie,

You’re making me blush  :wub:

Funny you should mention Absinthe spoons; I was admiring a particular one in an antique store's window in Windsor (UK) a few months ago, but alas, the store was closed. My bottle of Absinthe awaits...shall I contact you when I procure a spoon worthy of your admiration?  :biggrin:

Absolutely! :biggrin:

I'm a big fan of antique barware myself. I have some very pretty etched brandy snifters with hunting scenes on them, as well as some cool old deco-ey Pilsner glasses with frosted polka dots, and some very retro highball glasses in various colors with gold trim around the middle. My prize possession in the barware collection is an old Deco/Edwardian collapseable cocktail shaker and shot glass set that folds up into it's own leather case. Definitely something no proper gentleman would be caught without in his Louis Vuitton steamer trunk on the Orient Express. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol