• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Culinary Wasteland": Naples, Florida

chefdg

I cannot figure out how to link but a new place opened this week, EVOO Market and Bistro. The menu looks nice and the concept is somewhat new for Naples. I'll check it out and repost.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

I have lived in Ft. Myers, NY and Seattle and there's no doubt the big cities have the best restaurants, but I do think FL is improving.  If you want a real culinary treat of the chocolate variety go to Norman Love's chocolate factory & store near the Ft. Myers airport.  We always assumed the food was so bad in SW FL because midwesterners came here while people from the East Coast went to Miami.

I lived in Miami for over 20 years - and have traveled throughout most of the state numerous times during my 30+ years here. Although Miami had its moments - overall it wasn't/isn't terrific. On the other hand - we can thank southeast Florida for 2 things. Floribbean food (in my opinion started by Norman Van Aken when he was working in Key West in the 70's) - and Neuvo Latino food (started by Doug Rodriguez in Coral Gables in the 80's). I believe that these 2 movements - started by these 2 chefs - were extremely important in terms of the development of all the forms of fusion cuisine that came later. I don't think there is anything happening today anywhere in the US that is quite as exciting as what was happening then. Robyn

Tanks G.G. :rolleyes:

BTW even though I think the food at my place of employement is only good, albeit very consistent, we have 400+ rezos for valentines day. Go figure, but the restaurant is a Naples favorite and established for 15 yrs now.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Hey, I've been to Naples and the food is not so bad! I agree with a previous post that some of the restaurants are not worried about repeat business, but I have been to some that were not like that. (don't ask for names, it was two years ago) I would like to return to Naples sometime later this year.......I will be even more critical and see how the restaurants compare.

• 2 weeks later...

A little disappointed by the EVOO market, it looked like they put it together too fast, I didn't try the bistro, there was nobody eating and I didn't want to be the only one.

I heard today that David Burke will soon be opening a restaurant in Naples and am very anxious to see how his restaurant will do in this environment. I hope he can pave a new path for those of us who want to move food in this town into another direction. I don't know that much about him as a chef, or his restaurants, but the fact that he is a nationally recognized chef gives me some reason to be optomistic.

I ate at David Burke & Donatella in New York and thought it was great. Let us know if/when the place opens in Naples. I don't get to southwest Florida too often these days - but I'll make a point of trying the place when it opens. It's easier for me to get to Naples than New York :smile: . Robyn