• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best $7 I ever spent

Florida Jim

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Sevre et Maine, Clos des Allées VV:

Aromas of lime, unripe pineapple, Granny-smith apple, tonic water, wet stones and an underlying hint of both black pepper and ginger; medium bodied with flavors that follow the nose and each playing a delineated yet integrated part of the palate, concentrated, intense, crisp without being tart; very, very long in the mouth.

Enjoyed with a light lunch of cheese and pâtés; ethereal now but loads of life ahead.

As good as any wine has a right to be; no, make that as great as . . .

Decades will go by before I have any red wine that has this kind of quality at this price.

About $7, delivered. (I have no idea why someone would put this wine “on sale” but, at the time, I bought all I could afford.)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim, Thanks for the wonderful note. I've not tried this producer before, but will seek it out locally. I'm more fmailiar with chenin blanc-based Loire whites, and haven't invested any effort in tracking down quality muscadets, based perhaps on too many thin, harshly acidic examples in years past. I clearly need to broaden my horizons.

Especially with the 2002 and 2003 vintages, the Loire is truly a home for value, even with the dollar's exchange rate woes.

Cheers,

Tom