• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Woodcock in Restaurants

docsconz

I'll take your word for it - the waiter described it as woodcock.

I wonder how often waiters can be trusted and how far to trust them even when they can be trusted. In a certain kind of restaurant, I have implicit faith in whatever a waiter tells me. In others I regard every word with suspicion. in between there are those places and those waiters like to appear more informed than they really are. Even in the better places, I've had waiters tell me things about what's on the menu that I know to be questionable or just plain untrue. In some cases it's ignorance or pretension. In others it's just that they know a little and have stretched it too far.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.