• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Bedpost Notching

Busboy

. . . being members of a "culinary arts society" probably seems risible to most folks . . .

We are the court jesters of the "semi-upper middle class." "Fool" is the other word they use.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I love traveling, & I love food, but I have never planned a trip around food in 35 years. I've rarely made a dinner reservation anywhere, so maybe I'm semi-semi upper middle class.

I'm interested in landscapes and townscapes and archaeological sites. Once I decide where I want to go, I'll do some research into restaurants and carry a list in case they fit into my schedule when I get there.

The nice thing about traveling in Europe, particularly Italy, is that there's generally some really great food just around the corner from almost anywhere if you have a bit of an eye and a nose for it.

I usually rely on serendipity, and my instincts which have been honed by experience, and I'm rarely disappointed.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

. . . being members of a "culinary arts society" probably seems risible to most folks . . .

We are the court jesters of the "semi-upper middle class." "Fool" is the other word they use.

Following the "jester" definition of "fool" in the American Heritage Dictionary is:

"One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth: a holy fool."

Dare we add gastronomic truth to the mix?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

... The whole notion of all of us being members of a "culinary arts society" probably seems risible to most folks, especially those who've never experienced culinary artistry and even many of those who have but upon whom it has been lost.

I don't know, Fat Guy -- I am no veteran of this forum so it may be out of place to say this, though I have participated in Internet food forums for some time (22 years or so) and known a few people in various states and countries whom most folks here would likely consider to have experienced culinary artistry and even sought it out, and I have sensed some range of personal reactions to the particular language of "culinary arts society." I'm sure you've considered that. I assume that membership among the lost or the philistines is not a requirement for differing on language or brand names. I mention this because the lines above stress the specific label, rather than the spirit that I take to be behind it.

-- MaxH

Edited by MaxH (log)

To the average semi-upper middle class international tourist, food is neither art nor art-like. The whole notion of all of us being members of a "culinary arts society" probably seems risible to most folks..

That's a new one on me. What's a semi-upper middle class international tourist?

By the way - I thought my husband was the only person in the world who uses the word risible :biggrin: . Robyn

Others take exhaustive notes on every dish or request a copy of the menu. And some resort to the crass technique of snapping photographs of every plate.

A guess there are a lot crass folks here on the Gullet... :shock: