• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Holidays!

Kyle_Larson

Tommorrow we'll make hoppin' john, mustard greens, and corn bread. We've been doing this for the last few New Year's days and I would have to say that overall, my luck has been pretty good.

Happy New Year.

That's what we're having, too! Last year on 30 December I went all over town looking for blackeyed peas, and all the stores were out! I finally thought, on New Year's Day, to try the 23rd and Jackson (Seattle) Red Apple, and they had big display bins in the middle of the aisle, filled with bags and bags of blackeyed peas.

Happy New Year everyone !!

Dinner-in for New Years Eve with our neighbors...youngish non-foodie couple.

Kir Royales

Osetra Caviar on toasted French bread spread with sweet butter (thankfully they didn't eat too much!!)

Chicken Liver Pate' on cocktail rye

Dungeness Crab Salad on crackers

Braciole with Creamy Polenta

"Baby Cakes" (4-inch round and heart-shaped ) in lemon/glaze and chocolate/espresso glaze.

Our young friends are expecting a baby and not too adventurous so that left plenty of champagne/caviar/pate' for us...LOL

Hope everyone had a great evening and I'm looking forward to more eG gatherings in the coming year!!

Foodie-Girl (Char)

Tommorrow we'll make hoppin' john, mustard greens, and corn bread. We've been doing this for the last few New Year's days and I would have to say that overall, my luck has been pretty good.

Happy New Year.

That's what we're having, too! Last year on 30 December I went all over town looking for blackeyed peas, and all the stores were out! I finally thought, on New Year's Day, to try the 23rd and Jackson (Seattle) Red Apple, and they had big display bins in the middle of the aisle, filled with bags and bags of blackeyed peas.

We live in Columbia City and last year we couldn't find black-eyed peas in any of the local stores either. It was actually humurous to see these perfectely, fully stocked shelves with one section completely empty. It hit us to try the West Seattle Metropolitan Market and they were fully stocked. So, that's where we went this year.

A terrific place to get greens (mustard and collard) is McPherson's vegetable market on Beacon Hill at 15th. They're always stocked and are incredibly cheap. You can often find great deals on lemons and limes (8 for dollar versus 59 cents a piece) too.

I posted my New Years gathering on the the "Dinners" discussion. Hope I get this link right:

Cooking Forum: Dinners

Happy New Year!!!

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2