• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some Like It Hot

Carolyn Tillie

I was in a quandry where to post this topic... Media? Wine? I thought it best here, among the Fine Spirits.

My third printed article in the Napa Register was titled Some Like It Hot. I was really thrilled to get this assignment as I got to pull from my Victorian research.

The article offers a brief (very brief! I was limited to 800 words!) history on Syllabub, Egg Nog, Wassail, and Glogg.

Associated recipes were provided by Copia in conjunction to a month-long event they are providing.

Note -- I would have posted this earlier, but I honestly thought they didn't run the story as they printed my name as 'Caroline' so when I searched for it online, I couldn't find it. Boy, was I ever surprised when I got the actual paper and saw that my article is really beautifully presented on almost the whole front page of the Wine Business section with a large picture of a snowman mug with a thermometer protruding from it!

Glögg, or glögi as we spell it, is very common here in Finland too. The article mentions that it is highly alcoholic and that can be true, but not always. The alcohol content varies from non-alcoholic to highly alcoholic. Many places from public establishments such as libraries to private homes serve glögg to their guests before Christmas, and when in doubt people just ask how much alcohol is in the glögg. Usually if not always, the glögg that shops and other such places serve is non-alcoholic but the raisins, almonds and the spicy taste are always there.

Heikki Vatiainen