• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kennedy Center

mhberk

I know that this one has been done before, but I can't seem to locate the thread. I do remember Nectar being the clear choice. With that gone, what are some other great restaurants within walking distance of the Kennedy Center.

Thanks!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Marcel's with free limo service.

I know that this one has been done before, but I can't seem to locate the thread.  I do remember Nectar being the clear choice.  With that gone, what are some other great restaurants within walking distance of the Kennedy Center.

Thanks!

Thanks Mark. Last time we went to the Kennedy Center, we ate at Nectar and were very impressed. This time, however, we will be joined by my parents, and so we would need to go somewhere probably not as upscale.

Does anyone know how the restaurants inside the Kennedy Center rate?

Has anyone been to Circle Bistro or Filomena?

EDIT: added links

Edited by mhberk (log)

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Filomena has a pretty mediocre-at-best reputation. I enjoyed the Circle Bistro the one time I was there, and believe it got a good review from the Post some time ago. Here's an eGullet thread on it.

It's evidently also known as a place for dipsomaniacal Brit expats to drink breakfast, but I have only heard this second hand.

If you're considering something as "distant" as Filomena, you might also want to look at the Mendocino Grill on 29th and M, which puts down some pretty decent grub, or even Bistro Francais, which offers a pre-theater menu. The key, if you're walking, is just to stroll along the river bank or cut down the Rock Creek bike path (once you pass the Four Seasons on M St. to get to KC, rather than cutting back through Foggy Bottom) -- probably not much further off than Circle Bistro if you know the short cuts.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I know that this one has been done before, but I can't seem to locate the thread. I do remember Nectar being the clear choice. With that gone, what are some other great restaurants within walking distance of the Kennedy Center.

Thanks!

With Nectar gone, we usually eat at Aquarelle in the hotel at the Watergate. The food is neither sublime or adventuresome, but it's always tasty, service is pleasant and professional, and the finances of eating there are incredible when factoring in parking. Parking in the hotel lot is complimentary for patrons of the restaurant, which means you get to save the $15 parking fee for the Kennedy Center lot. There's one catch: The hotel parking lot closes at 11:00 p.m. If you can't retrieve your car by 11:00 p.m., you aren't going to retrieve your car that night! You'll need to know the running time of the show you're seeing at the Kennedy Center to use the hotel parking with confidence.

A couple more comments about the food: There are several prix fixe menus along with a la carte choices. The lowest price prix fixe cost $39 for a three-course meal. There are menus with more courses and, predictably, higher tabs. The food includes a few innovative touches, but it mainly sticks to predictable but well-executed new American cuisine. The kitchen is wonderful about substitutions; changes are cheerfully accepted and reliably delivered as asked.