• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best sliced meats in Northampton/Pioneer Valley

dscott

What's the best place in the Valley for sliced meats for a salumi platter (prosciutto, salami, etc.)? Anywhere better than Table and Vine in NoHo? Any good Italian delis? As a reference, I found Whole Foods selection to be quite poor.

Not much time for running around so Northampton or Holyoke are the preferred locations. Say no further than Amherst to the East, Deerfield to the North and Springfield south.

Grazie

There are a couple of good Italian delis in Springfield, but I have no idea about the quality of their sliced meats (since I rarely order them): Milano, 988 Main Street, Frigo's, 90 William Street and Mom and Rico's, 899 Main Street. There's also a place that specializes in homemade sausage, Zonin Market, 18 Winthrop Street. They're all within a few blocks of one another in the South End, and if you make the trip down to Springfield you can always go to the original La Fiorentina for italian cookies or cannoli. :biggrin:

Tofu Valley is not carnivore friendly. I have not been pleased by the quality of charcuterie in this neighborhood. Although it is not exactly what you are looking for, I can unequivocally recommend the roast beef at Serio's Market on State Street in Noho. Their rare store-cooked roastbeef is tastier and almost 50% cheaper than Whole Wallet in Hadley.

Excellent help. Actually, as a newbie here in the Valley, this info is valuable far beyond this weekend.

I don't get over to Amherst too much (Rte. 9, ugh) but I've been wanting to try the Black Sheep. Next time I venture to Atkins Farm I'll try to hit Black Sheep too.

I had no idea that Springfield's South End was so full of stuff. I was down there a couple of week's ago at the emergency animal hospital and had some time to spend. I could have done some damage (to my waistline) at all of those places. Is the seafood market any good down there? Whole Foods (or "Whole Wallet" as vivremanger called it) seems to have a pretty good seafood selection but I like supporting the local fishmonger/butcher/baker etc to the extent possible.

Which gets me to Serio's, where I think that I will try to get a r.b. sandwich for lunch today.

Thanks again for the great suggestions.

EDITED THURS 12/16: Had Serio's Rst Beef Sandwich yesterday. Fantastic. Excellent recommendation. Thanks.

Edited by dscott (log)