• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ravenna Italian? [SEA]

When I was living in Ravenna (2003), I walked to Casa d'Italia for the occasional weeknight dinner. It's a good neighborhood restaurant - nothing stunning but dependable. It is a small space, and feels cramped ( or cozy, depending on your mood) for more than a table for two.

The service isn't memorable (which is a complement, in my book). The hot sandwiches are memorable, however. Of the sandwiches, I like the meatball, and the sauteed onions & peppers.

I think my favorite part was that on several visits, the chef was training a younger employee, in a very charismatic fashion. It's a charming little place for a nice dish of pasta, and a glass of wine on night you don't feel like cooking.

I must admit, since I am now living in Greenlake, I haven't been there in a year. But, if I lived in walking distance, I would probably go one night this week.

edit for typO

Edited by crouching tyler (log)

Robin Tyler McWaters

Here's my review (registration probably required).

I agree that the sandwiches are the best thing they do--the sausage and peppers sandwich was great. Haven't been back since the review, though.

heh. we're headed there next week -- based in part on your review, which i mailed around (the link, that is) to my fellow diners. the soothing tones of "Rage Against the Coffee Machine" have now been played in the halls of MSNBC, fwiw.

I've been meaning to try this place forever, since we only live about 5 blocks away, and this thread finally made me do it. Went there last night with my husband and got almost the last table available (around 7:10). It's a tiny space, even the small bar seating was filled. The service was homey and friendly.

The meal was quite good. We shared a vegetable antipasto which had various marinated vegetables, all cooked just right--especially liked the little puddle of carmelized onions. We were given servicable bread with a bowl of olive oil that should have been better quality. It wasn't bad, just not very flavorful.

My husband had the hot meatball and sausage sandwich and it was great--I really liked the meatballs and would order them with pasta next time. It came with pasta salad which included some of the marinated veggies from the verdura plate.

I had one of the specials from the board they bring around. (I wish they wouldn't do this, since I can never remember everything after they leave--why not either post the board where I can read it, or just print up a daily sheet?). Anyway, I had tortellini with broccoli rabe and sun-dried tomatoes. This dish was very good in a rustic way. A bit heavy on the oil for my taste, but the bitter broccoli played nicely against the cheesey pasta and the sweetness of the tomatoes. I usually don't care for sun-dried tomatoes, but these had been treated well and were tender and tasty. The tortellini were very good, too--I also don't usually order these, either, but the brocolli rabe I love, so I chose the whole dish based on one ingredient. I would order this again.

For dessert we had a nice, rich vanilla ice cream with amarena cherries. I'd never tried these before, but the sweetness of the cherries was just the right match for the creamy ice cream.

My husband had a glass of Montepulciano de Abruzzo and I had a glass of a special wine that was a Pinot Grigio/Chardonnay blend, which I forgot to get info on. Both were decent wines and were priced at around 5.00 per glass I think.

I think for a neighborhood place, this was a really good meal and we'll go back. The only thing on the menu I didn't like, was that all the standard pasta sauces (marinara, meat sauce etc.) are served on a pasta of the day, which when we went in was farfalle. I'd prefer spaghetti with my marinara and meatballs, or a choice. But, it's a really tiny space, so I can see why they'd limit the choices.

We'll definitely be going back. I probably wouldn't drive here from across town, but it's right in my back yard, so I consider myself lucky.

Jan

*edited to correct silly spelling

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Heh, I remember the problem of the endless specials you can't keep straight.

Jon, my shower curtain continues to be highly political. And this is totally off-topic for this thread, but this morning I went to Don and Joe's and Don boned a lamb shoulder for me, which is currently in the oven. Then I came home and read your story about butchers from yesterday, complete with picture of Don.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Glad to see your write up on Casa d'Italia Seagal. Thanks! We live just a few blocks away from there and haven't made it in yet. I did stop and peek in the window one time (it was closed) and thought it appeared cozy inside but the menu didn't jump out at me. Maybe it will be a good spot on a night when I don't feel like cooking.

we went the other night.

the place itself was very cute, though a few decibels less on the Sinatra would have been appreciated. we liked the wine selection, and found a nebbiolo from an azienda we stayed at in Italy.

i didn't try the sandwiches, and maybe i should have. the braised goat i had (capretto rustico) was pretty good, though the sauce didn't seem to have fully infused the meat or potatoes. the pasta was ok, but the ragu seemed to lack punch. the risotto our friends had was big on the saffron, but it was hard to taste the white truffles (!!) in it and it lacked that creaminess so key to a great risotto.

the ricotta cheesecake was very good.

i'd be curious to go back and try the sandwiches. i really like the vibe. but the takeaway from this thread was spot on: nice, but just nice.