• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Right place at the right time...

jparrott

So I dropped in at Restaurant Eve in Alexandria, VA last evening to drop off a sample of one of our wines and have a Manhattan. It's early, the bar's about half full, but Todd Thrasher, the estimable GM/somm/mixmaster, is bustling, passing out thimble-filled flutes to staff and regulars. Ken the bartender hands me his. "59 Salon," he says. Sherried and salty, but still elegant, lively, and well-bubbled, with dry lemon and raw almond. Beautiful, from a pristine bottle.

Another glass appears. "1925 Lafite." This one's a bit the worse for wear, but still an intriguing loamy nose of cigar and earth, with the last vestiges of eighty-year-old red cherry fruit from this unrenowned vintage. A bit of history.

And another. "We don't know the vintage, it's one of 1925, 1926, 1935, 1936." It's Beaune-Greves from Bouchard, a Hospices bottling. Still chunky and round, with dark cherry fruit and sweet earth, with the classic Greves gravel. 1935 is considered the best of those four vintages, so that's my guess.

And all because I wanted to drop off a sample.

(And I ran into DonRocks and morela a night after running into mnebergall at the same place, without even knowing it :smile: )

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.