• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Woodinville and Bothell eats

Hello all. This is my first post here, so I'll begin with a brief introduction. My name is Sean, and I've been living in Belltown for a little over five years. I love both cooking at home and eating out, so I'm always interested to hear about new food-related places.

We're getting ready to move near Bothell and Woodinville, and I know the restaurant scene out there (if you can call it that) is quite a bit different from what we're used to in Belltown. Do any of you have any favorites you'd recommend we try? We know about The Herbfarm and Barking Frog. But what else is worth checking out?

Thanks!

Hi Sean, WELCOME!!

I live on the west side so I'm not very good at restaurants in your area. I did just eat at Barking Frog with an eGullet party and thought it was great!

I have always liked the pub food at Redhook Brewery but I haven't been there in about a year.

In Juanita I think Cafe Juanita is sooooo fantastic! I hope you can give this place a try! yum.........

Hi Sean, and welcome!

Well for starters you'll have to drive. :raz:

You'll find that the styles between downtown Seattle and the burbs are vastly different from each other.

I agree with LMF, Cafe Juanita is very good Northern Italian cuisine.

Golden Goat; 14471 Woodinville-Redmond Rd; over by Hollywood Schoolhouse is good as well (Italian cuisine).

Texas Smokehouse Bar-B-Q is pretty good, it's also in the same stip mall as Golden Goat.

Also by the Hollywood Schoolhouse is Lowell-Hunt Wine Cafe. It's open for dinner Tuesdays through Saturdays 5:30pm – 10pm. It's a wine tasting bar and I'm told the food is quite good although I haven't been there.

Il Bacio in Redmond (yet more Italian cuisine) recently changed ownership so I can't comment on that as I haven't been in there since.

For Mexican cuisine I like Frida's in Bothell. See my post for this recommendation.

Armadillo BBQ in Woodinville hasn't met my expectations. The proteins are over cooked and dry and carbs need more salt and fat. However, they did make Jay Leno's Headlines one Monday night a few years back as someone sent him their Yellow Pages ad; "Real Prison Food!" :laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Thanks!

For the record, I believe that Armadillo BBQ has gone out of business (or maybe they moved somewhere else). I think a week or two ago, it suddenly appeared to be closed down and now the space looks unoccupied. I'm glad to hear that I probably didn't miss much in not getting there before it closed!

The Purple cafe, between the Golden Goat and the BBQ house is pretty darn good and has an excellent wine list and great food at reasonable prices. Try the lobster mac and cheese.

The last couple of times we went to the Golden Goat, we were disappointed with the food. We stopped by there last weekend to give them another try. They open at 5:30 pm, and at 5:40, the restaurant was dark and appeared closed, although I could see someone in the kitchen. We went in and I asked if they were serving dinner, and the cook said he could make no promises since the server had not shown up yet. We were clearly imposing on him, so we took our business down the street to Barking Frog.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Really Nice is dead on with his recs. I love the Purple Cafe (there's also one in Kirkland). The food and concept is really a good one.

The Lowell Hunt people serve some really good stuff. I never ate at Armadillo, but always laughed at the name (RIP).

Is Italianissimo still in Woodinville? It was an ok red sauce Italian joint, but it's been a few years since I stopped by. I haven't been in some time, but Racha Thai was good at one time (owned by the same folks who operate Racha on Queen Anne). Wow. The Golden Goat has slipped.

Redmond: I forgot that Il Bacio had changed hands. Is the Greek joint next door still there? I think it was called Epiros? It was pretty good. Don't forget Malay Satay Hut! Lots of Indian choices, many of which have been posted before (do a search for Indian and Redmond).

Bellevue: there's Pogacha (Croatian flatbread ... good stuff from a wood fired oven); Mediterranean Kitchen; great Thai in about a zillion locations. Jones Barbecue at the Crossroads Mall is legit.

Kirkland: Szmania's, Third Floor Fish Cafe, Lynn's Bistro (is it still there?), Purple Cafe and Wine Bar, and Raga has great Indian food.

Issaquah: Another Pogacha, a good Indian joint in Gilman Village, Noodle Boat Thai, yada yada.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Hi Sean... Welcome to eGullet!

Cameron [aka SeaCrotty] and I really love Ooba's: they have two locations, one in downtown Redmond and another -- slightly more upscale -- in Woodinville. We haven't been to the Purple Cafe in Woodinville, but we've found the one in Kirkland is a little more show than go, foodwise.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Hi Sean... Welcome to eGullet!

Cameron [aka SeaCrotty] and I really love Ooba's

Ooo, ooo, ooo! Oobas!

I haven't been in a few months, but the Woodinville Oobas used to have a poblano rajas quesadilla that was the absolute bomb. Can't get it at the Redmond branch.

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

Ooo, ooo, ooo! Oobas!

I haven't been in a few months, but the Woodinville Oobas used to have a poblano rajas quesadilla that was the absolute bomb. Can't get it at the Redmond branch.

c

They have it now :wink: I know cuz I had it last week! and yes, it IS the bomb.

For a diner type experience, try the Woodinville Cafe, across the street from the Albertson's. Decent food.

Born Free, Now Expensive