• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purple Pig

Bacchusrogue

I lvoe this place!! Really good ribs and pulled pork and I love their Cajun Perogies.

The one I go to is at Adelaide and Yonge but there are ones in Newmarket, Orillia, Bracebridge and Niagara falls as well as a couple others I think.

Anyone know anything as good? Their ribs and sauce consistently beat other places all over the U.S. and Canada

Sorry, can't agree with you there. Been there a couple times at others behest, found the pulled pork rather dry and I honestly thought the ribs were awful. Tasted like they had been boiled for hours and covered in a gloopy supermarket sauce. I admit to being terribly picky about my ribs though and tend to make them myself (including sauces) rather than be disappointed while out. I've never tried cajun perogies....I imagine the cajun is in the spicing of the filling?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Yup it is, though in no way can the 'cajun' part of it be considered 'spicy' Just spiced but goood.

Hmm Im surprised to hear that about the pulled pork though, I've always found it really really good but then I like the sauce *smiles*

I really dont have as much experience cooking ribs myself as I would like.

Im guessing thats going to be one of my next 'summer' projects

Yup it is, though in no way can the 'cajun' part of it be considered 'spicy'  Just spiced but goood.

Hmm Im surprised to hear that about the pulled pork though, I've always found it really really good but then I like the sauce *smiles*

I really dont have as much experience cooking ribs myself as I would like.

Im guessing thats going to be one of my next 'summer' projects

If you like ribs, I definitely reccomend you start experimenting. Use the bbq, buy a smoker if you don't already have one, start making your own sauces (really, really easy and well worth the time compared to some glop) I guarantee you'll see a huge difference. Oh and most importantly, imo, DON'T BOIL THE DAMN THINGS!! :laugh::raz:

P.S. Don't wail 'til summer, what could be better in late January than some great ribs, beans and slaw?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

*grins* good point, maybe I'll start for the xmas season.

And I was watching the Surreal Gourmet a few nights ago and he said the same thing.

He said when you make stock you boil/simmer meat until all the flavour goes into the stock, leaving the meat with no flavour and the stock with it all. Why would you boil ribs and do the same thing when its the ribs you want to eat?

I should mention that the Purple Pig one downtown (as opposed to the others scattered about the province) changed ownership a couple of months ago and the new owner (lou) does NOT boil his ribs but smokes them for hours

I finally tried his wings too, yummy

Though not a fan of the pasta

I have worked for a couple of restaurants in the GTA and have seen ribs prepped a number of ways. The most common thing was steaming them in the steam box as this was the easiest way to do it, but other establishments I worked for baked them in the convection oven, pre-grilled them at a lower temp, and boiled them. Boiling ended up with the most tender ribs, but they lacked the real pork flavour. My step-mother still does this and it is a crying shame. Definately invest in a smoker or use your grill as one.

BBQ sauce is so easy to make and its fun to mix up the flavours.

Incidentally, I have been making pulled pork and boar for a while now and its so easy that I never go out for it. You can braise it in your crockpot/oven or do it on the grill.

And Cajun perogies is a sacrilege. lol

Mark