• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Eats near BAM-Quick B-Day dinner

mascarpone

I am lookng for a quick (have to catch a 7:30 PM concert), delicious dinner for two this Saturday near the Brooklyn Academy of Music. My budget is $40 total or less for two. I like ethnic and spicy, French, Middle Eastern, Italian, Central and Eastern European, American, Greek, Indian, Thai, Nouvell, Chinese, Carribean. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

Wow, I am suprised that there have been no responses yet to this inquiry of places to eat near BAM. Perhaps an establishment that meets my specifications does not exist near BAM.

If anyone has any leads, they would still be appreciated as the dinner si scheduled for tomorrow evening.

Scopello on Lafayette Avenue has a 19 or 20 dollar prix fixe theater special before 7:30....

We ate there the other day and it was servicable sicilian italian with entrees in the 14-16 $ range but it didn't knock our socks off.

I have suggested St Mark's Bistro in the past to people attending the BAM and they have enjoyed it.

edit: have heard great things about Locanda Vini & Olii but have not had the chance to try it yet.

-MJR

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Scopello on Lafayette Avenue has a 19 or 20 dollar prix fixe theater special before 7:30....

We ate there the other day and it was servicable sicilian italian with entrees in the 14-16 $ range but it didn't knock our socks off.

I have suggested St Mark's Bistro in the past to people attending the BAM and they have enjoyed it.

edit: have heard great things about Locanda Vini & Olii but have not had the chance to try it yet.

-MJR

Thanks mjr_inthegardens. I just looked up Scopello and it does look interesting. I also found a Deutsche/Wiener style cafe that was opened by a chef who used to work at Cafe des Artistes. I have not yet been to Bistro St. Marks.

Thanks mjr_inthegardens. I just looked up Scopello and it does look interesting. I also found a Deutsche/Wiener style cafe that was opened by a chef who used to work at Cafe des Artistes. I have not yet been to Bistro St. Marks.

Do you mean Thomas Biesl? If so that is right across the street from the BAM.

Scopello's service was friendly, but our waitress was a little ditzy.

They also had run out of lamb and a bottle of wine we requested. It was a monday night however.

-mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Yes the name is Thomas Biesel at 25 Lafayette. Has anyone been?

Times review, courtesy of chowhound... http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A9629C8B63

One comment from a user there was that the stewed items are better than the grilled.

Good luck!

-mjr

edit: review was published 11/3/2004 -- not bad for relevance!!

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jolie was "reviewed" in the NY Daily News today. While I dont usually think of the daily news as having qualityreviews, it is a source of information. It seems pretty close to BAM.

http://www.nydailynews.com/12-03-2004/city...5p-221256c.html

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Jolie was "reviewed" in the NY Daily News today.  While I dont usually think of the daily news as having qualityreviews,  it is a source of information.  It seems pretty close to BAM.

http://www.nydailynews.com/12-03-2004/city...5p-221256c.html

I thought that review was a better read than anything bruni has churned out recently.

It is miraculous to me how my new neighborhood (ft greene) has more French restaurants than I can count:

Chez Ozkar

A Table

Bistro St Marks

Cafe Lafayette

Ici

Gia

loulou

to "count" those I've heard of or looked up.

Brooklyn, NY, USA

• 1 year later...

I dined at Scopello last night. I'd like to have tried Ici instead, but the circumstances (post-work, pre-BAM, Friday night) seemed too frantic and tightly scheduled for a place I'd like to sample at my leisure.

Scopello's food isn't haute by any means - think Sicilian grandma food. I was happy with my selections - a salad followed by the pork cooked in brandy and oranges. My dining companion had the rolled eggplant followed by lamb, and declared (after sampling mine), that I had the better dish of the two. We shared a tartufo - nothing special, but a pleasant finish to the meal. The price tag was excellent - with two glasses of wine each, starters, entrees and coffees, it was under $100.

The service was pleasant, and very, very fast (very important under those circumstances). It's 1.5 blocks from BAM, and we arrived in the lobby just as they flicked the lights.

I wouldn't seek it out as a destination in and of itself, but for pre-Bam cheap eats, it delivers.