• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Palace Restaurant in Santa Fe, NM

Anyone have a report on the Palace since the Geronimo team took over management?  Thanks.

A guy that goes to my gym has raved about the new version (even though he mourns the loss of the old incarnation). He said, "The nude" is still there.

Sorry I have not ventured forth yet myself. I usually wait to hear from someone whose opinion I trust before I check things out in Santa Fe. I'll report back when and if I do though.

The "new" Palace is now as pricey as Geronimo but the food isn't nearly as good in my opinion. The menu is much more ambitious; in keeping with everything these owners attempt. The satisfaction level just isn't there.

Is it better than, say, Il Piatti ? Yes. I'd be more forgiving if they were not charging as though it is "Nirvana" however.

The old-timers in town who loved the old Palace hate it (particularly the old crowd that were regulars in the bar); all understandable to me. Most of the new guests seem to be pleased if not as ecstatic as the guests at Geronimo.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

TIs it better than, say, Il Piatti ?  Yes.  I'd be more forgiving if they were not charging as though it is "Nirvana" however.

What makes IL Piatto great is the price/ value ratio. I have friends that eat there several times a week. Nothing fancy just plain good. It's not in the same league as Geronimo.

Chowguy said:

"What makes IL Piatto great is the price/ value ratio. I have friends that eat there several times a week. Nothing fancy just plain good. It's not in the same league as Geronimo."

Just to clarify, I never said Il Piatti was as good as Geronimo or in its league; it is indeed excellent QPR. That said, The Palace is charging Geronimo prices and in my opinion is not even close to Geronimo for quality/execution of what they do.

Edited by fyfas (log)

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

So, it sounds like some have been there. The menu is described as "more ambitious" and the new guests seem pleased. Can someone describe the new menu and comment on why new guests seem satisfied? Thanks.

Many speak of my drinking but few think of my thirst.

Here's a description of some of the new dishes: click

I've only been to the bar and peeked into the restaurant (before and after).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Here's a description of some of the new dishes: click

I've only been to the bar and peeked into the restaurant (before and after).

Thanks for the link. It looks like a great menu. Pray tell, I saw not one number or indication of price.

This really is a menu like Il Piatto's I can't imagine paying Geronimo prices. I should qualify by stating that I don't find Geronimo overpriced, just expensive.