• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foibles & fallacies: the demon customer

Gifted Gourmet

I tip higher, particularly when I've been in some way high-maintenance (such as by asking a few questions that the waiter had to ask the BOH and get back to me on) or the waiter has otherwise been particularly helpful.

I'm not bothered by questions at all, actually. I'll answer whatever question you want to ask, including "What kind of pasta is in the risotto?" Heh.

But, what does bother me is this:

"I'll be right back with some more water for you, ma'am. Is there anything else I can bring you right now?"

"Uh, can I have some more water?"

Arrrrgh.

• 10 months later...

Washington Post article

Old thread ... ongoing issues ... :hmmm:

What Makes Waiters Tick -- and Ticked Off

just because the customer is always right, doesn't mean that the customer isn't sometimes rude. And no one knows that better than those expected to respond to our whims with nary a whine nor a whimper. Though some customers are downright obnoxious, others are simply clueless.

we asked area waiters to dish about their pet peeves and suggest ways to, you know, stay on their good sides. Servers always appreciate generous tips, but almost all of the folks we talked to said they also wouldn't mind a little more respect and politeness. Turns out being on your best behavior is also in a diner's best interest.

Some of the numerous comments here by Washington area waitstaff are hilarious but many make decidedly good sense ... read them and see for yourself ... sections include "Rude report," "Happy waiter," and "Pet peeves."

Rude Report: We once watched a customer use a napkin to wipe out the China bowl she had just eaten from. We thought she was being trying to be helpful, but then she just put the bowl in her purse

Anyone find someone here with whom they can identify? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Deadly Dining Sins article from This is London.co.uk

Clicking your fingers in a restaurant won't get you speedy service. It will simply identify you as one of the diners that waiters - and other customers - love to hate.

Snapping your fingers has been voted the worst faux pas that can be committed in a restaurant. Quibbling over the bill at the end of the meal and arguing with your dining companions make up the top three.

Smoking at the table, mispronouncing items on the menu, and starting to eat before others' meals have arrived, were also regarded as no-nos in the survey for Olive, a BBC food and drink magazine.

Guilty as charged or a hearty "Who ME??" :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

But, what does bother me is this:

"I'll be right back with some more water for you, ma'am. Is there anything else I can bring you right now?"

"Uh, can I have some more water?"

Arrrrgh.

Or when you go to a table to see if you can get anything for them and they ask you for a soda. Fine, you go get the soda and arrive at the table at the exact same time as the soda-bearing waiter and busboy who were also asked.

Regarding the cellphone debate, I work in a loud large restaurant, so cellphone chat doesn't really bother anyone. Howevah, if you're not going to ANSWER the phone, then PLEASE turn the ringer off.

Regarding Silly Chicken, I wouldn't have taken it back. Sure I would've taken the order for Silly Chicken 2, but I would have asked the customer if she wanted me to leave SC1 on the table or if she would like it wrapped up.

If a customer genuinely dislikes their dish, or there's something wrong with it, I'll take it away and void it off the check no question. But if there's nothing wrong with it, and they just decide they've ordered more food than they really wanted, sorry, they're paying. If the entree hasn't come to the table yet, it depends on whether or not it's ready. If it's about to come out, and not an extremely popular dish that can quickly go to another table, again, I'll ask if they'd like it wrapped to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Deadly Dining Sins article from This is London.co.uk

Clicking your fingers in a restaurant won't get you speedy service. It will simply identify you as one of the diners that waiters - and other customers - love to hate.

Snapping your fingers has been voted the worst faux pas that can be committed in a restaurant.

Years ago while working as a capatain at a very" precious" fine dining spot in NYC, I responded to an arogant, impatient customer who was clicking his fingers wildy. With great concern and empathy, I informed him that I was very sorry, but we did not have a cabaret license and Spanish dancing was not allowed at table. The poor guy didn't know whether to fart or tap dance.

b) The earth mother who insists on breast feeding at table

I hope you don't actually complain about this out loud. In most states in the US, that would violate the law.

In 31 states, women have a right to breastfeed in all public places, and cannot legally be denied service for that reason. These are laws I totally agree with. However, no state to my knowledge is so Orwellian or free-speech disrespecting as to have laws against "complaining out loud" about the practice. The earth mother's fellow diners have every right to express disapproval if they wish. And in turn, earth mother has every right to disapprove of their disapproval. No one has a right not to be complained about.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh