• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangover Rescue Recipes

Ruby

Quote: from RockADS21 on 10:15 am on Nov. 28, 2001

I respectfully ask that the doubters please try before they comment. .... As for the quesy stomache, I cannot comment inteligently on your choice of liquor and/or food which would most likely be the cause of having an upset stomache the following day

oh i have, and i never get a headache.  i drink lots of water while drinking alcohol, and before i pass out (not ice cold, but fridge temp).

i think it's important to note that hangovers come in many flavors.  while i can see how the excederin/water routine staves headaches and other muscle aches, it probably doesn't do much to address the rest of the symptoms that some people get.  these include, but are not limited to:  cotton mouth, nausea (12 beers sloshing around in one's belly isn't a good thing), inability to concentrate, loss of appetite, weakness, extreme exhaustion, the shakes, the green hue that some take on, the red hue that others take on, etc.

i'm getting hungover just thinking about it!

(Edited by tommy at 1:53 pm on Nov. 28, 2001)

Quote: from Wilfrid on 1:45 pm on Nov. 28, 2001

I am more convinced by your bong than by excedrin.

i think the perfect solution/cure lies in a combination of water before bed (for the dehydration and headaches/muscle aches), excederin before bed (for the headaches/muscle aches), and a bong hit in the morning (for the nausea and general pain of being awake and hungover).

there ya go. ;)

Here is an important link if you're ready to widen your horizons regarding the hangover.

Beware, this is one depressing read, but it will help you to reconsider the usefulness of 2-3 excedrins treatment for certain cases:

http://www.other.spb.ru/hangover.html

Wow, i already feel so nostalgic...

Tommy and Wilfrid, here is my special treatment for you guys:

Moskva-Petushki book is available from

amazon.com, a must read on the subject:

'>http://www.amazon.com/exec....4150

How thoughtful, Helena.  I like novels about alcoholics, and I hadn't heard of this one.  I was in a bar last night called 'Under the Volcano' after the Malcolm Lowry novel.  Happily, unlike the alcoholic main character in the novel, I did not finish my evening being shot, robbed and thrown in a ditch.  Nor have I got a hangover today.  So that's alright.

Quote: from Wilfrid on 9:44 am on Nov. 30, 2001

How thoughtful, Helena.  I like novels about alcoholics, and I hadn't heard of this one.

another interesting read is A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill, who is a newspaper reporter.  it's especially interesting if you are familiar with New York City and its surroundings, as he takes many strolls down memory lane through old new york.

Helena, I forgot to tell you how profoundly impressed I was with your information about "opohmelit'sya". It speaks volumes about the Russian race that they have developed this verb. I have email all my friends with this vital information! It has been busy week for me and I have been opohmelit'syaing for the last five days, no plans of giving up in the near future.

'A Drinking Life' by Pete Hammil.  Yes, tommy, I know and love it.

I would recommend just about any novel by the alcoholic English author, Patrick Hamilton, but especially The Midnight Bell (first book in the 20,000 Streets Under the Sky trilogy); and Iris Murdoch's Under the Net has a fabulous drinking session/hangover description.

Also amusing, if you can find it, is a slim volume by Kingsley Amis called Everyday Drinking.  It is a collection of newspaper columns, allegedly written as wine/drink reviews, but revealing at every turn - and often hilariously unwittingly - the chronic alcoholism of their author.  Example from memory:  "Carlsberg Export is a splendid drink.  The only problem is that, after a few, one does tend to fall over.  I find you can get a longer run by cutting it half and half with their Pilsener."  And so on.

Kingsley Amis's "On Drink", another slim volume, is brilliant. One Sunday afternoon a group of us, all hungover, read aloud most of it. We must have excreted all the nasty poisons of overdoing it the night before through our tears of laughter. The chapter on the Boozing Man's Diet goes as follows more or less. Keep drinking as much as before but lose weight through getting a hair cut of donating some blood.

As for hangovers: have some hot Bovril and vodka in the AM. Around 12.20PM have the hair (or rather tuft) of the dog.

PS: Martin Amis's "Experience" has a wonderful (funny and sad) description of dragging the drunken Amis senior home and being stuck on a traffic island b/c Amis Sr was blotto and couldn't walk. Pity senior Amis is no longer with us.

I don't think I could stomach Bovril. I don't think I made it very clear in my earlier post. Bovril (hot) and vodka isn't my idea for a hangover cure, it's Kingsley Amis's. He called it the Polish Bison.  And the "tuft" (rather than hair) of the dog he credits to Cyril Connolly).

(By the way), I dina ken fit y'er talkin aboot. Fit's this Opohmelit'sya?

Vodka by chance?

• 3 years later...

I just found this old thread, and I'm wonderin' why it's so old! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

For those of you looking for Steven (Fat Guy's) article, it's still online at Bottoms Up! Salon.com

My Danny has a long-overdue poker night tonight with some local winemakers, and I will be on pickup duty until 1 am, at which time he must officially sleep over, 'cause I'm not driving anywhere in my 'jammies after that.

Bacon is very good for hangovers, I think. Why does wine give me a meaner hangover than Tequila shots? I don't have much experience with this, as I have never tried Tequila before this year.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Why does wine give me a meaner hangover than Tequila shots?  I don't have much experience with this, as I have never tried Tequila before this year.

You aren't drinking enough Tequila...

• 1 year later...

So I was looking at this Yahoo article on Hangover Remedies, and wondering if I could combine all of these potential rescue remedies in one delicious beverage:

apples, bananas, B-vitamins, chicken soup, feverfew, ginger, honey, kudzu extract, lemon juice, lime juice, milk thistle, peppermint, persimmon, prickly pear extract, raw cabbage, sauerkraut juice, scalp stimulation by pulling on clumps of hair, thyme tea, tomato juice, and — if taken before a binge — vitamin C. 

I think I would go with a tomato juice/hair of the dog/herb theme. And bacon.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

There is no such thing as a hangover cure- only hangover survival.

Here is my 10 step guide to living through one.

1. Before going to bed there arm yourself with necessary equipment, ie bottles of water, pain-killers, sick bucket, etc.

2. One of the most effective, tried and tested ways to ease hangover painis sex. (But then you have to think about that when you wake up in the morning. Morning sex does not work.)

3. Do not get out of bed until you are forced to by your bladder.

4. Drink large amounts of flat coca-cola.

5. Shower. Brush teeth. Comb hair. You may feel like an absolute wino but you don't need to look like one.

6. Resist temptation to smoke for as long as possible. Cigarettes triple or quadruple hangover pain.

7. Eat cold pork pies.

8. Eat fruit, lots of it.

9. Eat mashed potatoes, gravy, shepard's pie, cottage pie, fish pie, or any variation on the theme. Must be hot, include mash, and not need chewing.

10. Read and watch TV but do not attempt to go outside unless it is to the pub.