• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2004 Vintage and Beer Report

Rebel Rose

While this photo essay cannot compare with Lucy's coverage of the Salon des Vignerons, the 2004 vintage is winding down here with the onset of autumnal rains. Which brings us once again to the local argument over which beer is the best crush fuel. As everyone in this business knows, it takes a lot of good beer to make great wine.

Below, syrah at Dover Canyon is poised to hit the crusher during September's harvest action. Harvest was fast and furious this year, with fruit coming in all at once from a number of vineyards. No time to rest, but we are very pleased with the balance, pigment and aromas of all the lots we brought in. Beer of choice: homebrew lager or Michelob Ultra.

gallery_17061_331_1099847027.jpg

This report just in from Mat Garretson at Garretson Wine Co.:

"Happy to report we just pressed the last of our 130 tons yesterday before the big rains. The harvest looks very nice...albeit 30% below normal. I'm VERY encouraged by what I'm seeing (and smelling AND tasting) from this year's harvest. The pH/acid balance is incredible. I think we'll have a very nice year."

gallery_17061_331_1099672838.jpg

"As to beer, we've always been a "Cooper's-powered winery". Our beverage of choice has been Cooper's Australian ales and stouts. How bad is our addiction? So bad that this year's harvest tee boasted a GWC rendition of the Cooper's label on the front (graphics attached), with a bottle of stout on the back with the proclimation, "It takes a lot of these to make one bottle of our wine". Hope you enjoy!"

Dan Kleck, formerly of Long Island, now owns Silverstone Winery in Paso Robles. He reports that Pacifico was the cellar beer, and this is his only 'action foto' from the 2004 harvest.

gallery_17061_331_1099846882.jpg

We hope that more reports will be trickling in soon.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook