• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum from Lange Tabbetje

Rene

I just bought a special bottle from a Surinam Rum. Is a thin bottle (20 cl) with a piece of cane in it. The Rum comes from Lange Tabbetje in Surinam.

Does any one know this Rum?

I bought it in a shop in Amsterdam. They buy all kind off spirits and bottle it in their own style (they also have thousends of mini's! Great, but not for sale). I think the Rum is bought from Scheer, but the owner is not helpfull so far. They would contact me about info, but nothing yet.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

I just bought a special bottle from a Surinam Rum. Is a thin bottle (20 cl) with a piece of cane in it. The Rum comes from Lange Tabbetje in Surinam.

Does any one know this Rum?

I bought it in a shop in Amsterdam. They buy all kind off spirits and bottle it in their own style (they also have thousends of mini's! Great, but not for sale). I think the Rum is bought from Scheer, but the owner is not helpfull so far. They would contact me about info, but nothing yet.

it not from scheer, I can asure that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went back to the shop in Amsrterdam for more information. I asked wether they had more. The guy behind the counter said: "no" but firmly. It looked like he wanted to say: go away (but with the F-word). I said that Lange Tabbetje does not excist. He replied: "Who cares" and walked away to another customer. I said that this way he could put anything on the label. He didn't listen anymore. He ignored me.

At this moment I'm checking what I can do about this. The drink could even be a Gin or a neutral spirit. If a part of the label is incorrect, you can never be sure about the other writings. People like them give Rum a bad name.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com