• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cgman117

cgman117

On 8/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, Wholemeal Crank said:

So far, my 30 inch slot seems quite limiting--when I select that option I'm down to 1 or maybe 2 choices vs a half dozen for the larger size, searching so far GE, Miele, Bosch. 

Even the $8000 Miele, which does have 'steam injection program cooking', doesn't have truly continuous cooktop temp controls--it's a 1 to 9 power scale.  That's much better than the 5 settings on the electric range I grew up with, but still not great.  When you're pressure cooking something for 30-45 minutes at pressure, you want just that gentle puff puff puff, and that takes precise control.....that's where I'm most often fussing to get things *just right*. 

And the people on the Bosch website chat can't do any more than read the manual, which only says that the auto-shut-off settings vary by power selected, and won't tell me if the setting required to keep a 16 quart stockpot simmering for meat stock will let me run it for 6 hours without having to reset over and over.   All they can do is read the manual that doesn't say.

It was much easier shopping for the gas range.

Another option is to get commercial induction cooktops. I have a Hatco PIC that's been great. Hatco has single or dual high-power dual burner units that have 30"-10hr timers (1 sec. to 100 hrs. in program mode), 3-stage program and single/dual temperatures probes. Their units can be set to a specific temperature or power levels from 1-100% allowing very precise and repeatable settings. 

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/hatco-irng-pc2s-36-high-power-heavy-duty-commercial-dual-induction-range-with-knob-control-208-240v-7200w/413IRNPC2S36.html

If I were building a kitchen, this would be my first choice, since residential units seem inferior even at the high-end.

cgman117

cgman117

So far, my 30 inch slot seems quite limiting--when I select that option I'm down to 1 or maybe 2 choices vs a half dozen for the larger size, searching so far GE, Miele, Bosch. 

Even the $8000 Miele, which does have 'steam injection program cooking', doesn't have truly continuous cooktop temp controls--it's a 1 to 9 power scale.  That's much better than the 5 settings on the electric range I grew up with, but still not great.  When you're pressure cooking something for 30-45 minutes at pressure, you want just that gentle puff puff puff, and that takes precise control.....that's where I'm most often fussing to get things *just right*. 

And the people on the Bosch website chat can't do any more than read the manual, which only says that the auto-shut-off settings vary by power selected, and won't tell me if the setting required to keep a 16 quart stockpot simmering for meat stock will let me run it for 6 hours without having to reset over and over.   All they can do is read the manual that doesn't say.

Another option is to get commercial induction cooktops. I have a Hatco PIC that's been great. Hatco has single or dual high-power dual burner units that have 30"-10hr timers (up to 100 hours in program mode), 3-stage program and single/dual temperatures probes. Their units can be set to a specific temperature or power levels from 1-100% allowing very precise and repeatable settings. 

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/hatco-irng-pc2s-36-high-power-heavy-duty-commercial-dual-induction-range-with-knob-control-208-240v-7200w/413IRNPC2S36.html

If I were building a kitchen, this would be my first choice, since residential units seem inferior even at the high-end.

cgman117

cgman117

Another option is to get commercial induction cooktops. I have a Hatco PIC that's been great. Hatco has single or dual high-power dual burner units that have 30"-10hr timers (100 hours in program mode), 3-stage program and single/dual temperatures probes. Their units can be set to a specific temperature or power levels from 1-100% allowing very precise and repeatable settings. 

cgman117

cgman117

Another option is to get commercial induction cooktops. I have a Hatco PIC that's been great. Hatco has single or dual high-power dual burner units that have 30"-10hr timers, 3-stage program and single/dual temperatures probes. Their units can be set to a specific temperature or power levels from 1-100% allowing very precise and repeatable settings. 

cgman117

cgman117

Another option is to get commercial inductions cooktops. I have a Hatco PIC that's been great. Hatco has single or dual high-powered dual burner units that have 30"-10hr timers, 3-stage program and single/dual temperatures probes. Their units can be set to a specific temperature or power levels from 1-100% allowing very precise and repeatable settings.