• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bruni and other NY Times critics

Pan

Mimi, I'm really happy you're taking part in this Q&A because you were the first restaurant critic for the Times who entered my consciousness. I always appreciated your willingness to give a star or two to a restaurant that served delicious Chinese or some other kind of "ethnic" cuisine in modest surroundings.

I wonder if you'd like to comment on the job Frank Bruni is doing so far, or on what you think of other current New York Times critics and the star system and division of labor under which they all operate. Specifically, I'd like your views on the dichotomy between the "$25-and-under" and starred categories nowadays, and your remarks on how non-upscale "ethnic" eateries are regarded at the Times nowadays. I'll look forward to reading whatever you'd like to say on these and any related issues of your choice.

Michael aka "Pan"

First, thanks for the compliments.

Next, I think Frank Bruni is doing a good job. He is an excellent writer and so far I have not often disagreed with his assessments.

I have a problem with the Under $25 for several reasons..mainly that it is often not really possible to have 3 courses (the measure for me) in some of those places for under $25. And I do not see why they should not be rated or why they are not grist for the main critic's mill.

I approve of the star system if the critic can make the text and star ratings agree which often they do not for me.

I do not like Diner's Journal when it covers new restaurants because that is a sort of pre-review review. I would rather wait for a full review and rating and not tip-off the restaurant.

An announcement and description of a new restaurant is one thing, but a half-way review is quite another.

Thanks for your reply, Mimi. Many eGulleteers would agree with most of the remarks you made, and have in discussions of the star system, the "$25-and-under" column, and the "Diner's Journal." Nice to get your feedback!

Michael aka "Pan"