• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fructose

rajsuman

Hi,

On an impulse I picked up a pack of fructose the other day and was surprised to find it more flavourful than ordinary sugar. Does anyone know if it behaves like ordinary sugar? Can I substitute it for sugar in any recipe? The only thing I'm currently doing with it is sprinkling it on tart strawberries.

Thanks,

Suman

You can use fructose in most of the same ways you would use regular sugar. The complications is that fructose is considerably sweeter than conventional sugar. In a cookie, for instance, you would end up with a much sweeter result. On the other hand if you cut back on the sugar to compensate, you'll have a different texture. Adapt your recipes, then, with caution.

Where fructose can be very handy is things like whipped cream, custards, lemon curd, etc since you don't need to use as much. Furthermore, fructose can be used in reasonable quantities by most diabetics. When my parents had their bakery they made many of their pies and meringues with fructose for that very reason.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Furthermore, fructose can be used in reasonable quantities by most diabetics.

There was a short time when fructose's low glycemic value caused many to believe it to be safe for diabetic use, but in recent years, studies have been revealing otherwise. Besides having strong links to heart disease, fructose has links to the development of insulin resistence. In other words, it causes/exacerbates diabetes. Very evil stuff.

I have a friend who follows the "Sugarbusters's" diet, and she uses fructose exclusively. Her standard conversion is 2/3C fructose for 1C sugar. I haven't noticed a difference at all when she uses it.

OTOH, she also uses all or part whole wheat flour in baked goods. That's a whole other story..... :hmmm:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I have a friend who follows the "Sugarbusters's" diet, and she uses fructose exclusively.

Your friend might be better off doing a little research on fructose. No offense, but an overweight person with a high risk of developing diabetes shouldn't be eating foods that cause diabetes.

I would also add a note of caution.

The endocrinologist who is managing my type II diabetes has cautioned me about using fructose and glucose and has given me a list of fruits to use only in limited amounts.

Sucrose and sucrolose, are allowed in small amounts, otherwise I must use Splenda.

Aspartame causes cardiac arrythmia in me and nearly caused me to have a pacemaker implanted about 14 years ago until the problem was identified.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I would also add a note of caution.

The endocrinologist who is managing my type II diabetes has cautioned me about using fructose and glucose and has given me a list of fruits to use only in limited amounts. 

Sucrose and sucrolose, are allowed in small amounts, otherwise I must use Splenda.

Aspartame causes cardiac arrythmia in me and nearly caused me to have a pacemaker implanted about 14 years ago until the problem was identified.

Have you ever tried Stevia?

I have found that you can get a remarkably sugar-like taste from combining Splenda, Stevia, and Saccharin. Sweetener synergy makes it so you can use less of each, and not have to deal with any of the characteristic aftertastes. Splenda alone always leaves an 'empty' taste in dishsed, but this combination seems to solve the problem. If you can use limited amounts of realy sugar then that might help even more.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I once picked up Stevia from an organic store. It was quite ghastly. I think using more than a nailful makes it cloyingly sweet..but in an incomplete way....one of my atkins-abusing friends suggested that stevia is better when used with splenda. what is the point, i ask you...I prefer sugar, but if i had to...i'd probably go the splenda way instead of stevia. wasnt there a fabulous splenda based cola....like diet coke/pepsi..only one that uses splenda instead of artificial sweeteners...they even had really cool flavours like orange and white grape,iirc. i havent found anything like that here in london tho'....

Have you ever tried Stevia?

I have found that you can get a remarkably sugar-like taste from combining Splenda, Stevia, and Saccharin.  Sweetener synergy makes it so you can use less of each, and not have to deal with any of the characteristic aftertastes.  Splenda alone always leaves an 'empty' taste in dishsed, but this combination seems to solve the problem.  If you can use limited amounts of realy sugar then that might help even more.

Oh, I completely agree, Stevia can be ghastly by itself. Something completely different happens when you combine artificial sweeteners though. In particular the combination of Splenda with a couple packets each of Stevia and Saccharin (Sweet and Low) gets rid of the negative aftertastes of each, and enhances the overall flavor.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I once picked up Stevia from an organic store. It was quite ghastly. I think using more than a nailful makes it cloyingly sweet..but in an incomplete way....one of my atkins-abusing friends suggested that stevia is better when used with splenda. what is the point, i ask you...I prefer sugar, but if i had to...i'd probably go the splenda way instead of stevia. wasnt there a fabulous splenda based cola....like diet coke/pepsi..only one that uses splenda instead of artificial sweeteners...they even had really cool flavours like orange and white grape,iirc. i havent found anything like that here in london tho'....

Diet Rite is the name of the cola.

Not all brands of stevia are created equal. Being a natural product, it can run the gamut from decent to bat guano. The point of combining sweeteners, is, as Nullo mentioned, a magical phenomenon called synergy. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. When combining sweeteners the synergistic boost you get allows you to use less of everything. Less of everything translates into less aftertaste.

• 1 year later...
Oh, I completely agree, Stevia can be ghastly by itself.  Something completely different happens when you combine artificial sweeteners though.  In particular the combination of Splenda with a couple packets each of Stevia and Saccharin (Sweet and Low) gets rid of the negative aftertastes of each, and enhances the overall flavor.

Hey Stevia isn't artificial! :biggrin: I find it has a crazy aftertaste though. Has anyone every BAKED with stevia? I don't think it works but I'm desperately looking for a good sugar substitute for baking. Splenda is decent. Any others?

I have a stevia plant at home. If you nibble on the leaves you get this shot of sweetness and it goes straight to your head and without the tooth pain that super sweet sugar gives you.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello