• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

European (Ziegler) Wafer Torte

Yesterday I couldn't resist buying a package of wafers for making a torte. They're about 11x7", just more than paper thin, probably would be called oblaten, except all the package says is Ziegler Wafers. They're just calling out for an assortment of creamy fillings between the layers - has anybody worked with these before?

And maremosso, if you're reading this, I ordered some agar agar at your suggestion. When it arrives I'll be asking for your help, I'm sure.

I suppose that it's not true oblaten, because it has a very fine waffle texture. We just don't seem to have a name for it in English other than wafer, which is a very ambiguous term.

Oblaten wafers were once the specialty of the town of Karlovy Vary, formerly Carlsbad, in the Czech Republic. According to Mr. Babinec, a Czech ex-patriate who is a longtime friend of my father’s, there are several varieties, some very small & crisp, others that are flavoured, usu. w/ chocolate. He told me recently that in Vienna some of the smaller bakeries may still produce fresh, hot oblaten, but usually they are bought at delicatessens. Interestingly, about 10 days ago, I pulled a recipe out of my files for Pišingruv Dort, an oblaten torte. Ten oblaten, about 10-inches diam., are used in that particular cake.

Re the small, crisp variety: Lilly Joss Reich offers a recipe to make Vanille Plätzchen (The Viennese Pastry Cookbook, p. 61). ). The batter is spread to about 3-inch rounds, left at room temp. for several hours, then baked at 275° until very crisp.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

Interestingly, about 10 days ago, I pulled a recipe out of my files for Pišingruv Dort, an oblaten torte.  Ten oblaten, about 10-inches diam., are used in that particular cake. 

Thanks for the additional background redsugar. Do you know what the filling is in the Pisingruv Tort?

I hestitated to answer re: a use for the wafers b/c it has been a really long time. I think my Mom used them once to make a torte filled with a rich chocolate filling like that in a Dobos Torte. Maybe also finely ground hazelnuts added?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

ludja: Yes, the layers of the Pišingruv Dort are filled w/ a chocolate mixture composed of butter, sugar, bitter chocolate, vanilla sugar, chopped toasted hazelnuts, and whipped egg whites. The top is left plain so that it can be spread with a simple glaze.

Yes, that's the wafer manufacturer, and I don't see the plain ones onthe site either. Maybe I have some sort of rare thing, but thet were so cheap that i kind of doubt it.

That chocolate-hazelnut cream idea is right in line with what I was wanting to do. Redsugar, is your recipe about like the one in the link swisskaese posted?

Swisskaese, et. al. -- Yes, the recipe for Pischinger Torte (to which you've linked) bears a general similarity to the one provided for Pišingruv Dort, but the basic distinctions are that the latter uses egg whites only and the top wafer is brushed with the simplest of sugar glazes.

I would not doubt that we could adapt one of the the great Viennese masterpieces, the Esterhazytorte, substiuting the oblaten wafer for its traditional hazelnut meringue leaves; one could, of course, retain the Esterhazytorte's marachino cream filling. Although one's imagination might be straying, the Eingerollte Mandeltorte is another possiblity for adapation to wafer discs. (Incidentally, one of my goals for the upcoming depths of winter, is to augment my meagre E. European baking repertoire. But I certainly won't start with a Baumkuchen! The flourless chocolate Dörytorte looks like a sensible first recipe.)

Do we have eGullet members with a solid expertise in Viennese pastries? A most fascinating craft.