• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Hat -World Famous Pastrami

savvysearch

I have driven past the one in Brea more times than I can count, but never actually went in and tried anything. Might be time to change that if they truly do have good pastrami.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I have driven past the one in Brea more times than I can count, but never actually went in and tried anything. Might be time to change that if they truly do have good pastrami.

The thing is that it was only the second or third times I've had pastrami, so I'm maybe you should take my word for it. By the way, it costs $6.50, I think.

yeah, it's pretty good, esp for OC. But if you're closer L.A. and it's before 4pm, you might as well go to Langer's instead and make sure you get yours handsliced. I believe this gives me what others on this board have call a "foodgasm"

haven't tried the pastrami at katella deli in Costa Mesa. My sis used to work there and her stories put me off my feed, but I heard the pastrami is good.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Is Langer's open on the weekend as well? I keep meaning to get out there, but doing so without the small fry would make things much, much easier all around. Besides, this is one I'd like to share with Mr. tejon if I can.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

yeah, it's open on sat from 8-4. but not sundays. If you don't mind bringing me along sometime, I'd like to go with you. I notice I get bigger sandwiches when I'm with other people that don't look related to me.

Gustavo Arellano did a piece on a Salvadoran Jew baker in Mission Viejo who does a good pastrami. I haven't had the chance to check it out this claim. He learned about pastrami under Abraham Kaplan (Kaplan's Deli, mentioned above)

Arellano's story about Solomon's Bakery

--sorry, back to The Hat (By the way, tejon, there's another location for The Hat that is closer to you. click here for locations)

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW