• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"low-carb wine"

alacarte

I've officially seen it all in terms of food and wine marketing hype. Today I saw -- on the side of a bus, no less -- an advertisement for a merlot that billed it as "delicious and low-carb."

I didn't catch the name of the wine using this as its new selling point. I'm grateful for that.

Eager to jump on the low-carb craze, One.6 Chardonnay and One.9 Merlot are trademarks of the Brown-Forman Company. B-F is a giant company that owns, among other things, Lenox China, Fetzer, Bonterra, Bolla, Bel Arbor and Sonoma-Cutrer wines, plus others. Their flagship product is Jack Daniels whiskey. They also own Finlandia vodka.

Mark

I've seen those two bottles at the grocery stores as well. I'm sure they are selling the heck out of those-- anyone know what is actually in there? dear god I hope it is not splenda or some similar chemical.

I actually felt so disgusted I was angry when I saw the wine for the first time-

anyone tasted this yet? would be interesting to see a review/report on one of these, the merlot in particular.

I am guessing a VERY fruit forward wine, very purple in color with no tannins, perhaps with an opening bouquet of red jolly rancher, with underpinnings of cherry and saccharin..

Eager to jump on the low-carb craze, One.6 Chardonnay and One.9 Merlot are trademarks of the Brown-Forman Company. B-F is a giant company that owns, among other things, Lenox China, Fetzer, Bonterra, Bolla, Bel Arbor and Sonoma-Cutrer wines, plus others. Their flagship product is Jack Daniels whiskey. They also own Finlandia vodka.

Saw One.9 at Costco last night. $7.99 a bottle. Is this the next Charles Shaw? :shock:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

• 4 months later...

My favorite local wine merchant must've gotten a heck of a post-off -- they've been selling the One.6 Chardonnay for $2.49 a bottle, $24 a case. Without a doubt, the low-carb thing is a marketing gimmick, but the wine itself is really not too bad. As the label says, there's some melon and a little citrus along with a bit of oak -- simple but nothing blatantly objectionable. For eight bucks there are better choices, but for two I'm right there. I'll probably have other preferences, but I think this'll be Ms. Alex's house white for the forseeable future. (We picked up two cases.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer