• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cone Dilemma: Sugar, Cake, Waffle or ?

Cusina

They all have their place - although I will take a cake cone over a bad sugar cone any day.

Truth be told, I'm more of a sundae girl. Syrups and nuts are important!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Growing up with a mother who always stocked our pantry with waffle cones for eating ice cream at home, the sugar cone was what I as a child always chose when I went out for ice cream. Sugar cones were therefore special and exotic. Sugar cones were also what contained my favorite ice-cream treat, the Nutty Buddy.

Now that I've long been an adult and love feeling like a child again, I choose the waffle cone all the time, whether at home or out. I buy the pack of waffle cones that some in pink, green, and brown, just as my mother did.

Actually, I think waffle cones just taste better. The crispness and lightness are a good foil for the creaminess of ice cream. Sugar cones just don't tatse very good to me now, often having the texture of damp cardboard, especially once you reach the bottom of the cone. And with sugar cones, there's the annoying drip of melted ice cream through the hole. As a mother now, I like the neatness of the hole-less waffle cone (cup, rather?) with a flat bottom, that can be set on the table.

The cake cones were  called "safety cones" during my youth in the Chicago area.  Why I do not know.  They tasted like communion wafers.  I prefer the sugar cone over the waffle-the latter is too sweet and competes  with the ice cream.

And communion wafers tasted just like the food I used to feed my gold fish--little flat wafers that you broke up and dropped in the water.

Waffle cones, definitely.

sparrowgrass