• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TTB announces another new California appellation

Carolyn Tillie

From the article in today's Just-Drinks.com:

"San Bernabe," as the AVA is officially named, was approved by The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB).

The appellation is located in Southern Monterey County, framed by the Salinas River on its eastern border, the Santa Lucia Range on its western border, Pine Canyon to the north and San Lucas to the south.

Interesting that I am starting to learn the different flavors indicative of the different appellations -- I know a Carneros Pinot from one that is grown elsewhere; I'm starting to detect mountain fruit vs. valley fruit; but this is a new appellation to me and I'll have to investigate what makes this appellation any different...