• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The New Yorker Food Issue

bloviatrix

I wonder if the New Yorker food issue was the inspiration for Gastronomica? The eclectic blend of content seems similar.

Of course the New Yorker has the advantage in only having to publish one such issue per year, and it probably pays a lot better besides.

SB (has read the New Yorker since before he could)

It amazes me that year after year the New Yorker publishes an all-food issue, but includes not a single recipe!

According to this thread, the 2002 issue was the first New Yorker food issue. I don't think there was one in 2003? So this is only the second. I wonder if they'll publish a food anthology some time. I haven't been reading the New Yorker for that long and there must be some great stuff from past decades. (Trillin's article on Shopsin's, from April 2002, is a favorite of mine.) I don't miss recipes, by the way.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

According to this thread, the 2002 issue was the first New Yorker food issue. I don't think there was one in 2003? So this is only the second. I wonder if they'll publish a food anthology some time. I haven't been reading the New Yorker for that long and there must be some great stuff from past decades. (Trillin's article on Shopsin's, from April 2002, is a favorite of mine.) I don't miss recipes, by the way.

The New Yorker used to publish MFK Fisher, so that tells you something.